Day in history for August 8, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- Mr. Huber of the Rock Island Brewery will construct a 4-story malt house.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- In appreciation for his work, head clerk C.W. Hawes of the Modern Woodmen of America was presented a bay Morgan horse hitched to a 2-seat rubber-tired surrey.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- The Kemble School building, ordered closed by the Rock Island Board of Education several months ago, will be reopened for another term.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- Moline's newest super-market, Tenenbom's, 1910 5th Ave., will be opened at 4 o'clock tomorrow afternoon, according to Chris Fuss, manager. The new store is the eighth Tenenbom market and the second in Moline. The other Tenenbom store is located at 2018 16th St. Completely new throughout, the store contains wide aisles, five mechanically operated check-out counters, and several rows of open, wide shelves which provide the customer with a convenient, easy way to shop.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- The team of Leo and Dan DalleMolle, Chicago, posted an adjusted best-ball card of 66 to win the low net division of the annual Father and Son Invitational Golf Tournament at Short Hills Country Club. The team of Charlie and Jim VanOteghem, Rock Island, won the low gross division with a card of 72. This year's tournament attracted a record 130 father and son teams.
Back: Available days in August 2000