Day in history for August 7, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- The Moline Gun Club is buying 1,000 pigeons at 25 cents a pair for the use in gun shoots.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- Gus Stengel of Rock Island was elected president of the Thirty-third District Liquor Dealers' Association.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- The Universal Tractor Plant was sold to International Harvester Co.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- Six fire companies including those from Silvis, East Moline, Moline and Colona, helped fight a blaze which early this morning caused heavy damage to the new Rock Island Lines railroad viaduct which connects Carbon Cliff with the Barstow Road at the extreme east end of the railroad's switching hump. The overhead bridge, value of which was placed at $110,000 by Silvis shops officials, was still standing when firemen left the scene shortly before noon today but its main spans and under-pinning will have to be replaced before it can be opened to traffic again.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- Even as it emphasized the need for major renovation of the county jail, a Rock Island County grand jury suggested it might be more feasible for county officials to begin planning for a new jail. The 23-member May term jury, however, issuing a lengthy report at its final session, noted Sheriff Joe Schneider and other county officials have taken steps to comply with its suggestions for certain changes at the jail.
Back: Available days in August 2000