Day in history for August 4, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- The store of G.A. Eiker of Woodhull was entered by three men who cracked a strongbox and escaped with $1,000.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- The Sunday closing movement inaugurated by the retail clerks association of Rock Island and Davenport became effective.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- Elmore H. and John T. Stafford announced extensive improvements will be made to six store buildings on Twentieth street, Rock Island.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- Perhaps spurred by threatened shortages of building materials because of the Korean War, construction work in Rock Island last month soared to $751,929.35 and boosted the city's building valuation for the first seven months of 1950 to $2,955,195.35, a sum 9 percent above the amount for the same period last year. 509 building permits were issued. Fees collected by the building inspector's office totaled $1,401.35.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- Upper Rock Island County groups were expected to opt for formation of a non-profit corporation to pursue construction of a municipal swimming pool in the East Moline-Silvis area at a meeting in East Moline City Hall. United Township High School has been mentioned as a likely site for the indoor-outdoor pool, giving the school a moratorium for use during school hours and giving East Moline-Silvis area residents a pool for after school hours.
Back: Available days in August 2000