Day in history for August 29, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- Burglars entered the Sickles And Preston hardware store, Rock Island, and made off with 12 revolvers and about 30 pocket knives.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- George R. Davis, circulator for the Davenport Leader, was drowned in Rock River.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- E.O. Anderson was named assistant traffic commissioner of the Rock Island chamber of commerce.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- The theft of an $800 adding machine from the office of Minneapolis-Moline Company was reported to Moline police this morning by officers of the company. They said the 20-pound machine was taken sometime last night. The theft was discovered when the office was opened about 8 o'clock this morning. Entrance to the office was gained by forcing a window off the rear platform.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- The city of Moline has 98 new storm sewer grates to replace gratings hazardous to bicyclists, but no volunteers to install them. Last year, the Marine Corps Reserve installed 56 new grates along city streets, but 98 more are gathering dust awaiting installation. A total of 475 of the new grates have been ordered. City employes could do it, but it would take them away from other projects.
Back: Available days in August 2000