Day in history for August 21, 2000

1875 -- 125 years ago
Miss Allie Davis was appointed a teacher by the Rock Island Board of Education. Cornelius Lynde was reappointed treasurer of the board.

1900 -- 100 years ago
Four empty ice houses in East Moline were destroyed by fire. Damage reached $3,000.

1925 -- 75 years ago
The Rock Island plant of the former Daniel Boone Woolen Mills will soon be operating at capacity with 500 to 600 employees.

1950 -- 50 years ago
AFL painters in the Quad-Cities will receive a 15-cent hourly pay boost Sept. 1, it was reported today. The increase will hike the hourly rate of an estimated 400 painters to $2.25. Most other building trades unions concluded new contracts in May and June, many of them winning hikes in hourly pay.

1975 -- 25 years ago
An auto owned by Mr. and Mrs. Jack Thompson of Dayton Corners dropped through a bridge spanning the Hennepin Canal shortly after a similar mishap involving an auto owned by Jack Kelleher of Moline. The bridge, one-quarter mile south of Dayton Corners off Cleveland Road, and other canal bridges in a three-county area, are the subject of a pending lawsuit to determine who is responsible for their maintenance and repair.

Back: Available days in August 2000

Local events heading

  Today is Wednesday, April 23, the 113th day of 2014. There are 252 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: Some persons are negotiating for 80 feet of ground on Illinois Street with a view of erecting four stores thereon. It would serve a better purpose if the money was invested in neat tenement houses.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Central station, car house and stables of the Moline-Rock Island Horse Railway line of the Holmes syndicate, together with 15 cars and 42 head of horses, were destroyed by fire. The loss was at $15,000.
1914 — 100 years ago: Vera Cruz, Mexico, after a day and night of resistance to American forces, gradually ceased opposition. The American forces took complete control of the city.
1939 — 75 years ago: Dr. R. Bruce Collins was reelected for a second term as president of the Lower Rock Island County Tuberculosis Association.
1964 — 50 years ago: Work is scheduled to begin this summer on construction of a new men's residence complex and an addition to the dining facilities at Westerlin Hall at Augustana College.
1989 — 25 years ago: Special Olympics competitors were triple winners at Rock Island High School Saturday. The participants vanquished the rain that fell during the competition, and some won their events; but most important, they triumphed over their own disabilities.

(More History)