Day in history for August 19, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- It is rumored that A.A. Morey has purchased J.J. Pakre's half interest in the Rock Island Union.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- The Moline city council repealed the franchise of the Central Union Telephone Company, making it 30 years instead of perpetual.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- The second of 24 barges being constructed at Milan boat yards at a cost of $2,000 each was completed.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- A Moline man was arrested last evening on the complaint of Ralph Birks, Moline park superintendent. The man removed sod from Reservoir Park, 8th Avenue and 35th Street, Moline, in violation of the city's park ordinance. He was released on his own recognizance pending a hearing tomorrow in police court.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- The Daily Dispatch will offer a college course by newspaper on a weekly basis beginning next week. The course called the ``American Issues Forum'' will explore the reality of the American experience as part of The Dispatch's observance of the nations Bicentennial. Courses by Newspaper estimates approximately 20 million Americans have read articles offered as part of a personal, convenient, at home learning program.
Back: Available days in August 2000