Day in history for August 11, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- Mrs. Michael Buncher had her pocket picked on Market Square, Rock Island. Her loss included a check for $100 and $3 in cash.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- Dr. G.L. Eyster of Rock Island won the men's handicap at the Rock Island Golf Club from a field of 34 competitors.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- Raymond A. Bennett was named new physical director of Rock Island Y.M.C.A.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- After almost 16 months of waiting since Moline citizens approved a $100,000 bond issue to finance the project, the city of Moline yesterday afternoon completed the initial details for the purchase of a site for a new fire station in Highland. An option for the acquisition of a 70x150-foot piece of ground on the north side of 23rd Ave. near 35th St. was signed with Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Anderberg, the owners, with Fire Chief John H. Polchow acting as agent for the city.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- The submarine USS Hammerhead III has a new base on the front lawn of the Richard Dorothy home in Prophetstown. Dorothy discovered the 10-foot submarine replica and realized that it was the work of practical joker friends, Wes and Jim McMillan. Apparently Dorothy asked Jim to make a pair of six-foot oars, he did, but instead of being six-feet long, each oar had six feet on it, with red painted toenails. The submarine was then made to go with the oars.
Back: Available days in August 2000