Day in history for August 1, 2000

1875 -- 125 years ago
A picked crew from the Sylvan Boat Club will race a crew from Dimock And Gould. The Sylvan crew will be made up of Tillinghast, Anthony, Lewis and Gould with Abbott as coxswain.

1900 -- 100 years ago
Rock Island and Davenport brewers agreed to raise the price of beer from $6 to $6.50 a barrel.

1925 -- 75 years ago
John P. Looney was found guilty of a conspiracy to protect gambling, prostitution and illicit liquor traffic in Rock Island. The jury fixed the penalty at one to five years in the state penitentiary. Judge Nels A. Larson also sentenced Looney to 60 days in jail for contempt of court.

1950 -- 50 years ago
Grading operations for the Quad-Cities' newest outdoor theater began yesterday near Silvis and are being rushed with the hope that construction will be completed soon. The new open air showhouse, a companion to the Memri near Milan, is to be named Semri, comprising the first letters of Silvis, East Moline, Moline and Rock Island.

1975 -- 25 years ago
Drivers beware! New duck crossing signs are coming our way. The official duck crossing signs are a first for Illinois and only the second in the U.S. The first signs posted in Illinois are in the town of Marseilles, where more than 200 semi-wild mallards have made their home over the last couple of years.

Back: Available days in August 2000

Local events heading

  (More History)