Day in history for July 6, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- George Wagner is decorating the old part of his Rock Island brewery to make it uniform with his malt house.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- Phil Mitchell, Rock Island, was named treasurer of the Rock Island Mutual Loan And Savings Association.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- William W. Bowlby, Rock Island, retired music dealer, died.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- Nine passengers were killed today in a freak collision of two sleek Sante Fe railway streamliners, both eastbound and running side by side. The number of injured ranged between 50 and 75. Some in hospitals in Galesburg and Peoria were in critical condition. Others were treated at the scene in emergency first aid stations and sent on their way. The wreck occurred early this morning at Monica, Ill., 148 miles southwest of Chicago. Monica is 30 miles east of Galesburg.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- Terrence McCarter of East Moline earned runnerup honors in the National A.A.U. Wrestling meet held this weekend at Augustana College, Rock Island. McCarter won his first three matches in the 178 pound freestyle division before losing the national title. As a second place finisher he is eligible to participate in the Canadian tour next month.
Back: Available days in July 2000