Day in history for July 31, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- A runaway team dashed up Iowa street to the Rock Island bridge, and finally crashed into a buggy containing Mrs. William A. Norris and Mrs. William Sears of south Rock Island. One of the horses was injured and had to be shot.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- The Bryan and Stevenson Anti-Imperialist Club of Rock Island is planning a big picnic event.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- The Rock Island City Council drafted an ordinance for a $119,110 storm drain for the southwest section of the city.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- His putter wouldn't behave early in the afternoon, but Moline's John Hobart disciplined the wayward stick five holes before the wind-up of the Illinois Men's Amateur golf tournament yesterday afternoon at Short Hills Country Club and bagged his second championship of Illinois golfdom.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- For the first time since World War II, the Rock Island Arsenal has a woman security guard. She is Paula Gold, a native of Buffalo, Iowa, and a veteran of the U.S. Navy. ``Drivers really slow down to take a second look, like they don't believe what they see,'' Miss Gold said, ``but that doesn't bother me.'' Her job includes stationary, motor and foot patrol and accident investigation as well as other duties.
Back: Available days in July 2000