Day in history for July 3, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- George Fuelmer of Rock Island was robbed by three men of $11 in cash and a check for $125.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- Mrs. Harry Smythe, formerly of Rock Island, has reportedly fallen heir to an estate of $1 million.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- Mrs. Charles Crawford, Edgington Township, was elected president of the Rock Island County Home Bureau.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- Davenport police were notified last night by alarmed residents that a boy was running around in their neighborhood without any trousers. Police found the youth, but decided against arresting him after hearing his story. The 16-year-old-boy told officers he had been playing ``King of the Hills'' with a group of boys, and lost his pants in his enthusiasm. After being advised to take his sport with more calm, the youth donned his trousers and went home.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- This spring Mrs. Helen Anderson of Bishop Hill organized a sewing bee every Wednesday in her home to preserve a bit of bicentennial heritage by wielding needles and thread on a century old Bishop Hill flag, hand-sewn in the colony in 1876. The centennial flag was found sealed in a tin cracker canister at the restored Bishop Hill Colony Store (formerly the village post office).
Back: Available days in July 2000