Day in history for July 27, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- Winners of the pigeon shooting match were: Dr. Morey, S.R. Porter, John A. Fish, John Healy and James First.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- Business in Rock Island will be suspended for the annual merchants' holiday. A river excursion in Joliet, Ill., has been planned.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- Dean P.H. Durkin, Rock Island, will officiate at the laying of the cornerstone at St. Ambrose Church, Milan.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- Beware of two women who are selling ``wool'' materials door-to-door in western Illinois, representing the cloth as English imports, Mrs. Robert Powell, home economics teacher in Hillsdale High School, warned today. Mrs. Powell was approached by the two women at her home yesterday, and after testing the material, Mrs. Powell found it to be a high-grade rayon.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- Pastors of Moline's three Catholic churches, Sacred Heart, Christ the King and St. Mary's, may be asked to resign their appointments within the next 30 days if a proposed plan of unified ministry is approved by members of the three parishes. The plan involves the pooling of resources of the personnel serving the affected parishes. Resignations would be used to facilitate appointment of personnel with an even spread of abilities within the group.
Back: Available days in July 2000