Day in history for July 24, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- Isaac Negus' horse was almost a runaway, but the animal was caught before any damage was done.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- Robert Mitchell, son of Mr. and Mrs. Phil Mitchell, Rock Island, was injured about the head while playing golf at Indianapolis, Ind.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- Mrs. Ida M. Blankenburg, formerly of Rock Island, expects a share in the millions left by Lotta Crabtree, actress. The will is being contested in Boston.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- The Rock Island High School building was entered during the weekend and numerous pieces of furniture were upset throughout the building. In addition, police were told by Principal Owen B. Wright that between 15 and 20 windows on the northwest corner of the building have been broken by rocks.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- The former International Harvester Mixed Car Warehouse in downtown Moline, with its wooden, oil-soaked floors and wooden beams, was an ``instant inferno'' after lightning struck it last night. Unofficial damage estimates the loss at more than $1 million dollars, but owners report an inventory has not been completed. Smoke from the fire reportedly could be seen from Erie, 30 miles from downtown Moline.
Back: Available days in July 2000