Day in history for July 19, 2000

1875 -- 125 years ago
Fall grand jurors from Rock Island Township are: Charles Benser, J.G. Blythe, George Snyder, L.M. Haverstick and J.B Danforth.

1900 -- 100 years ago
The Tri-City Electric Sprinkler Co. suspended operations in Rock Island, refusing to pay the water rates charged by the city.

1925 -- 75 years ago
The Peoples Savings Bank And Trust Co. and the Mechanics and Merchants Savings Bank of Moline were consolidated.

1950 -- 50 years ago
One-way traffic for downtown Moline won the first round when city councilmen last night unanimously approved the proposal during a committee of the whole meeting and ordered city engineer William M. Coopman to confer with state highway department officials and ask that they speed their part in the changeover.

1975 -- 25 years ago
An American flag presented to the Village of Andover back in 1876 during a Fourth of July Centennial celebration in Cambridge is on display in the courthouse office of Eben C. Johnson. He said the 12- by 6-foot flag, with 37 stars in its blue field, was one of his father's prize possessions. His father, Frank, was the only known survivor, at the time of his death in 1952, who had attended the parade of 1876 when Andover won the flag as a prize for having the largest delegation present for the parade.

Back: Available days in July 2000




Local events heading








  Today is Saturday, Aug. 30, the 242nd day of 2014. There are 123 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: A large pair of elk, captured in Iowa, were exhibited in Market Square today.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Rock Island Arsenal dam was being constructed under the supervision of Charles Frances, of Lowell, Mass.
1914 — 100 years ago: Mrs. Frank Mixer, of Rock Island, was the winner of the final preliminary for the women's handicap golf cup at Rock Island arsenal links.
1939 — 75 years ago: Sixteen hundred persons — many from war-fearful Europe — arrived in New York aboard the German liner Bremen. For two days on the trip, passengers were cut off from the world with both incoming and outgoing radio messages banned.
1964 — 50 years ago: Police reported five youths have been involved in the theft of about seven cars in recent weeks. Three of the youths were arrested Saturday afternoon, one was in custody as the result of a previous arrest, and the fifth is expected to be arrested today.
1989 — 25 years ago: The Rock Island/Milan School Board is asking the city to tear down Franklin School and allow the school district to pay back the estimated $100,00 cost during 10 years.






(More History)