Day in history for July 11, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- The annual school report shows a total of 1,882 pupils enrolled in Rock Island schools. The salary of J.F. Everett, superintendent, is $1,600 a year.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- The foundation for the new school at 14th Avenue and 37th Street, Rock Island, has been laid.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- Rock Island probably will be chosen as the site for the 1928 encampment of the Mystic Order of the Veiled Prophets of the Enchanted Realm.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- The theory that the gas odor which caused alarm among hundreds of Quad-Citians early Sunday morning was caused by a gas odorant spilled from a broken drum on a truck was confirmed today. A spokesman for the Iowa-Illinois Gas And Electric Co. said it has been established that one of two 55-gallon drums of ``pentalarm'' shipped by the Chicago branch of the Sharples Chemical Co. to a utility company in western Iowa arrived empty.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- People may say they're nuts, but that doesn't stop the Larry Dickinson family in East Moline from keeping a pet squirrel in their living room. The Dickinsons adopted a baby squirrel seven weeks ago when it was abandoned after a storm. Now ``D.J. Cyrus'' lives in a cozy cage in the family living room. Mrs. Dickinson says, ``When the kids wanted to keep the squirrel, we made a deal: the four snakes would have to go. Now that's a bargain!''
Back: Available days in July 2000