Day in history for June 9, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- The Iowa state census shows the total population of Davenport to be 21,055. There are 3,831 registered voters.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- Miss Lora Murphy won the silver medal for excellence in the first graduating class of the Academy of the Visitation, Rock Island.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- Dismantling work was underway at the Roth building east of the Fort Armstrong Hotel site on Third Avenue, Rock Island.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- Bobbie Vroman, 10, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Vroman, Hillsdale, incurred a deep gash on the side of his head in an accident at his home yesterday. The boy was struck by a mall which flew off the handle as his uncle, Lloyd Vroman, was helping to to drive a well. He was taken to Moline Public Hospital where the wound was closed with six stitches, and was later returned home.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- International Multifoods announced that it will not immediately resume milling operations at its Davenport flour mill which has been shut down since an explosion May 23. The company had determined that it would be impossible to run the mill without grain from the adjacent elevator which was destroyed in the explosion.
Back: Available days in June 2000