Day in history for June 26, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- The troublesome ``Exchange Street Gang'' is wanted by police for stoning and throwing mud at the Methodist church in Rock Island.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- C.A. Windau, a Moline jeweler, invented what is believed to be the first aluminum solder.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- Miss Margaret Montgomery of Rock Island was starred in the movies as the leading lady of Harry Langdon, famous comedian.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- Mrs. Prosper VanMeulebrock and daughter, Marie, Moline's crusading mother and daughter team who crashed the headlines two years ago in a war on gambling, plan to return to the firing line, they have announced. Mrs. VanMeulebrock said she and her daughter will enlist the aid of the clergy in a fight to keep women and small children out of bars.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- With the approach of July 4, seven Moline retail stores have been ordered to take trick noise makers off their shelves by the city fire department. The noise makers called ``Fun Snaps'' are designed to go off on impact and even though they contain a very small amount of powder the items are illegal. It is conceiveable the noise makers could result in some child getting hurt.
Back: Available days in June 2000