Day in history for June 24, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- Marshal Hawes and Policeman Ankrum arrested two young men on Eagle Street, Rock Island. The men answered the description of two highway robbers wanted in Davenport.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- The Rev. C.S. Spaulding is being considered for the pastorate of First Baptist Church, Rock Island.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- An appropriation of $784,869 was passed by the Rock Island city council for the operation of the city government during the next year.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- Miss Darlene Anderson of Moline last night was selected from 14 girls to be Miss Moline of 1950 in the second annual pageant, sponsored by the Moline junior association of commerce, in Calvin Coolidge junior high school auditorium. Approximately 400 attended the pageant. Miss Anderson, who is 21, was crowned by Mayor Hjalmar Oakleaf and awarded the Miss Moline trophy and a $350 scholarship by William Pape, pageant general chairman.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- Steve Eddy, star right-handed pitcher for East Moline's baseball team the past two seasons, has signed a professional contract with the California Angels organization. Eddy, the Angels' 19th-round selection in the major league player draft 3 weeks ago, will join the Angels farm club in Idaho Falls in the Pioneer League.
Back: Available days in June 2000