Day in history for June 23, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- The candidates passing the teachers' examination were Miss E. Bunnell of Geneseo, Miss L.K. Fleming of Rock Island and Miss E.E. Anthony of Monmouth.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- The Rev. W.H. Johnson of Springlake, Ark., accepted a call to the pastorate at Memorial Christian Church, Rock Island. He will succeed the Rev. T.W. Grafton.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- The Rev. Daniel T. Martin was elected vice president of the Luther League of the Rock Island district at the convention held in the city.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- Everything but the bill collector has been pulled from Rock Island's letter collection boxes. And any day that, too, could happen. Already, fantastic finds such as corn plasters, shaving mugs, lipsticks and goggles have leered at blue-suited carriers who innocently open the green metal boxes expecting to find letters.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- A little bit of the Smithsonian Institute, Washington, D.C., has arrived in the Quad-Ciites. The Evyan Perfume collection of First Lady dolls will be on display at Younkers, Southpark Mall. The collection, valued at $100,000, is comprised of exact replicas of the Inaugural Ball gowns worn by the 28 first ladies who occupied the White House.
Back: Available days in June 2000