Day in history for June 2, 2000

1875 -- 125 years ago
J.W. Scott, who resides two miles east of Cambridge, injured his hand in a corn sheller at Orion. One finger was amputated.

1900 -- 100 years ago
Herman Kakert of Rock Island and Miss Mary Lage of Davenport were married at the home of the bridegroom's parents, 708 12th St.

1925 -- 75 years ago
Sen. William B. McKinley pledged to seek a revival of the normal use of Rock Island Arsenal.

1950 -- 50 years ago
A huge tepee has been erected at the Girl Scouts' Camp Shabonee near Port Byron. The tepee, which is 13 feet tall and has a 54-inch base, was made two years ago, painted last year and erected for the first time only a few days ago. It will be used for Girl Scout ceremonial meetings. Mrs. Edward Bennett of Grand Mound, Iowa, is camp director this year. The tepee was painted under the direction of Mrs. Clyde Strickland, camp director last year.

1975 -- 25 years ago
George Silver, Bettendorf, president of Riverside Industrial Materials, Bettendorf, has been appointed a member of the 1975 committee of National United Nations Day. The committee will be inaugurated by the U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations in New York City. This year will be the 30th anniversary of the United Nations.

Back: Available days in June 2000



Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, April 23, the 113th day of 2014. There are 252 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: Some persons are negotiating for 80 feet of ground on Illinois Street with a view of erecting four stores thereon. It would serve a better purpose if the money was invested in neat tenement houses.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Central station, car house and stables of the Moline-Rock Island Horse Railway line of the Holmes syndicate, together with 15 cars and 42 head of horses, were destroyed by fire. The loss was at $15,000.
1914 — 100 years ago: Vera Cruz, Mexico, after a day and night of resistance to American forces, gradually ceased opposition. The American forces took complete control of the city.
1939 — 75 years ago: Dr. R. Bruce Collins was reelected for a second term as president of the Lower Rock Island County Tuberculosis Association.
1964 — 50 years ago: Work is scheduled to begin this summer on construction of a new men's residence complex and an addition to the dining facilities at Westerlin Hall at Augustana College.
1989 — 25 years ago: Special Olympics competitors were triple winners at Rock Island High School Saturday. The participants vanquished the rain that fell during the competition, and some won their events; but most important, they triumphed over their own disabilities.




(More History)