Day in history for June 16, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- Five students at the first ward school in Rock Island who have not been absent for the year are James Farrell, Bertram Witten, Hattie Hall, John Kendall and Alice Huber. William Henderson of the same room has not been absent or tardy for three years.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- Harland Herbert was the only pupil in the first grade of Washington School, Rock Island, who was not absent or tardy for the entire school year.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- A celebration will mark the inauguration of the new white way lighting system in Rock Island.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- The first DC-6, a 4-engine United Airlines commercial airplane to land at the Quad-City Airport, south of Moline, arrived at 8:35 a.m. this morning on a regular Chicago-Moline-Omaha route, which is usually made by a DC-4. The DC-6 carries 52 passengers, not including 6 lounge seats, while the DC-4 carries a maximum of 44 passengers.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- The Financial Aids Office at Black Hawk College is cranking out comic books to help students and parents overcome the idea that a person with an empty billfold can't afford to go to college. The three-page book features ``Frugal Man,'' a comic book character created by Bill Hannan, calligraphy instructor in the college's art department.
Back: Available days in June 2000