Day in history for June 12, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- Dennis Brennan, Rock Island, was injured seriously when a circular saw snapped at Keator's Mill on Arsenal Street. Pieces of the saw slashed Brennan's left hip and arm.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- Miss Ruth Wistrand of Moline was elected president of the Augustana Conservatory Alumni Association.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- Eli Mosenfelder sold his 2nd Avenue property to Charles Brady of Rock Island who will lease the building as a new department store.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- The Student Union building just west of Ericsson Field on the Augustana College campus was struck by lightning about noon today. Firemen were searching for the fire in the top portion of the building, which was the former Bethany Home. Earl Chrogott, who was driving on 5th Avenue, saw the bolt of lightning strike and turned in the alarm. Firemen said the front end of the cupola was torn off.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- Moline ambulance attendant Jerome Tebockhorst literally gave someone the shirt off his back, but it wasn't a voluntary gesture. He hung his shirt on the station ladder truck before the start of his shift when a general alarm came. The shirt was lost somewhere en route to the scene. Attempts to locate the $15 shirt with a fire department badge worth $10 proved fruitless.
Back: Available days in June 2000