Day in history for May 29, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- George Wood, a carpenter, was injured when he fell from the roof of the old Castle home on Illinois Street, Rock Island.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- Gen. J.C. Black will be principal speaker at the Rock Island Memorial Day service. The general is visiting at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Ben T. Cable.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- Sheriff Clarence L. Edwards of Rock Island was elected president of the LeRoy A. Goddard class of the Moline Lodge of Perfection.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- John Lievens of Moline, a student at Alleman High School, Rock Island, won sixth place and a $50 cash award in the ``Selling as a Career'' contest held under auspices of sales managers bureaus throughout the United States. The sales managers bureau of the Davenport Chamber of Commerce sponsored the local essay contest, and three essays from the Quad-Cities area were entered in national competition. The three students will be guests of the sales managers bureau at the next meeting June 20.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- Dave Johansen, health educator with the Rock Island County Department of Public Health, said that ``The county is suffering from a head lice problem. We are finding it can happen to anyone, no matter where they live.'' If you suspect your child has lice, please check with your doctor. This will prevent an outbreak from becoming an epidemic.
Back: Available days in May 2000