Day in history for May 27, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- John Whitsitt of Preemption, one of the best known stock breeders in this area, returned from Chicago with 12 head of cattle worth $8,000.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- Rock Island Arsenal soon will be equipped with machinery for the manufacture of small arms.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- Union plumbers of Rock Island signed up for another year at the present scale of $1.25 an hour.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- The 32nd annual convention of the Iowa Association of Journeymen Barbers will open tomorrow in Davenport with a business session at 3 o'clock in the Mississippi Hotel. About 150 barbers and their wives are expected. C.E. Kyle, secretary-treasurer of local 116, will give the address of welcome. At the banquet tomorrow night the barbers will hear addresses by AFL representatives. Business matters will be considered on Monday along with the election and installation of officers.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- Warren Crowe, Rock Island, swam to shore to get help for James Hill, his wife Linda and their infant daughter Michelle, Rock Island, after their disabled boat crashed into trees and partially sank on a flooded island in Sylvan Slough. The steering cable on the boat reportedly came loose and the craft rammed into partly submerged trees. Hill was able to get himself and his wife and daughter on a log until help came.
Back: Available days in May 2000