Day in history for May 25, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- The two children of Mr. McElherne, Rock Island, were injured when struck by falling lumber. They were playing on a lumber pile.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- All members of the anti-cigarette league are requested to be present at a meeting in First Methodist Church, Rock Island.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- A.F. Parson, Rock Island, suffered a concussion of the brain and other injuries in an automobile accident.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- A wild water fight between an irate Davenport property owner and several dozen Davenport high school students threatened to develop into an all-school melee before the arrival of police today noon. Dr. Raymond Hixson, 1126 Harrison St., who lives across the street from the high school, was knocked to the ground by a student. Several students were soaked with water from a garden hose in the hands of Dr. Hixson. Dr. Hixson told police he used the garden hose on the students after all other attempts to keep them off his lawn had failed.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- A Quad-Cities ballet company has been formed, a first for the area. The Centennial Dance Theater will present its first dance program at St. Ambrose College. The company was formed in January and is under the direction of Lawrence Quell of Davenport and Linda Aldrich of East Moline. There are 23 dancers, ranging in age from 13 to 30.
Back: Available days in May 2000