Day in history for May 22, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- It has been decided to remove the old 40-foot, 2-story brick building on the Rock Island House property.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- The official board of Memorial Christian Church, Rock Island, voted to recommend the Rev. Henry Pearce Atkins for the pastorate of the church.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- Rock Island county veterans are boosting Judge Ben D. Farrar for state commander of the Disabled American Veterans of the World War.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- Davenport has a population of 73,476, according to unofficial figures announced today by P.J. Cerretti, census supervisor for the first Iowa district. The figures show an increase of 7,437, or 11.5 per cent, over the population total of 66,039 given for Davenport following the 1940 census. The population of the greater Davenport area, including suburban districts, is estimated at 80,000 by the census supervisor.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- For the second time in as many years, Geneseo is being televised for inclusion in an American documentary to be viewed in Europe. Jean Lafevre, a representative of French Broadcasting in the U.S., and a film crew shot scenes and locales, which may be part of a film, to be shown over French TV during President Ford's visit to Europe next month. Speaking of Geneseo, Lafevre said, ``I think it is truly American.''
Back: Available days in May 2000