Day in history for May 20, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- The 42-car Howe circus performed in Rock Island before a crowd of 6,000 persons.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- Mrs. Mary E. Mulcahey, deputy supreme oracle of the Royal Neighbors of America, has returned to Rock Island after organizing a camp at Sandwich, Ill.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- Workers in the Rock Island Rescue Mission campaign are nearing their goal with more than $4,000 of the $6,500 budget subscribed.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- A petition by residents of Milan for annexation to the Rock Island school district was tabled by the latter board of education at a special meeting last night, and it was indicated that the proposal may be put to a public vote for final decision.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- The bankrupt Rock Island Lines reported first quarter losses of $18.9 million, more than twice the $9.3 million loss reported for the same period last year. The railroad's revenue fell to $82.9 million from $90.1 million last year. The loss could have been higher, railroad observers claim, except the Rock Island has been somewhat successful in trimming its operating expenses.
Back: Available days in May 2000