Day in history for April 20, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- Fire destroyed the New York House, a saloon and boarding house; Harris' row and Harris' old dwelling house in Rock Island. Cropper row adjoining also was damaged considerably.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- J.T. Noftsker, Rock Island, was elected delegate to represent the city at the general conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Chicago.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- The residence of Henry Hutchinson, 915 15th St., Rock Island, was struck by lightning during an electrical storm.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- Six Hollywood stars, including four from the cast of the Republic Pictures trucolor production, ``Rock Island Trail,'' have promised to be in the Quad-Cities next Thursday when the world premiere of the motion picture depicting the early days of the Rock Island Lines is scheduled. Adele Mara, Adrian Booth, Bruce Cabot, Forrest Tucker, John Wayne and Roy Rogers plan to be present.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- An illustration by Richard Ledbetter, a student at Alleman High School, Rock Island, was named best of show in the high school division of the 5th annual art show and exhibit sponsored by the Quad-Cities chapter of the Society for Technical Communication. In the college division, an illustration by Kevin L. Seward of St. Ambrose won best of show award.
Back: Available days in April 2000