Posted Online: Feb. 24, 2013, 1:00 am
Today in history for Sunday, Feb. 24, 2013
Comment on this story
Today is Sunday, Feb. 24, the 55th day of 2013. There are 310 days left in the year.
1863 — 150 years ago: Geo. Babcock, one of the clearest headed business men in town, will be a candidate for alderman in the 1st ward.
1888 — 125 years ago: The First Avenue Hotel at First Avenue and Twentieth Street, Rock Island, has been offered for sale.
1913 — 100 years ago: Fire resulted in 4500 damage at the Tappendorf Planning Mill in Milan yesterday. The blaze started when sawdust ignited.
1938 — 75 years ago: A report that all gambling devices in Rock Island have been removed from taverns and other business houses, was made today by Chief of Police Herman Schnert in a letter to Alderman Vernon R. Hendron of the Seventh ward, mayor pro tem of Rock Island.
1963 — 50 years ago: In the wake of a Quad-City protest on the possibility of losing 150 jobs located at Rock Island Arsenal, a spokesman at the Arsenal disclosed last night that 50 jobs already had been lost through the discontinuance of another agency. Of the 50 persons whose positions in the disbanded Civilian Personnel Field Agency were curtailed, 25 took other position on the Arsenal and the rest either took different jobs in the Quad City area or transferred to other federal installations.
1988 — 25 years ago: There were a few tears and many regrets when St. Anne parishioners bid a fond and regretful farewell to the Rev. Albert Hallin, pastor for five years at the East Moline parish. Father Hallin has been named pastor of St. Mark's parish in Peoria effective today.