Posted Online: Nov. 19, 2012, 12:27 pm
Nov. and Dec. library programs at Rock Island Library
Comment on this story
Press release submitted by Rock Island Public Library
Looking for a break from holiday cooking and shopping? Look to your Rock Island Library
If you're ready for a short break from the annual holiday runaround, take advantage of free November and December programs at the Rock Island Library. From program for job seekers to a celebration of the culture that originally gave us the first Thanksgiving, library programs offer entertainment and education for everyone in the family among the offerings are:
Free programs for job seekers:
· Getting that Job: Tips on Making the Cut: Tuesday, November 20 at 6:00 p.m., Rock Island Main Library, 401 19th Street. Frustrated with your job search or just getting started? A panel of experts will provide tips on everything from filling out the application, what to avoid on your resume, and what to do (and not to do) during an interview. No registration is required.
· Resume Tips: Tuesday, Dec. 11 at 11:00 a.m., Rock Island Main Library, 401 19th Street. Need some help putting together a resume? Library staff will help you work through the process. This is a hands-on class, so registration is required. Please call 732-7341.
· Native American Heritage Month celebration, Wednesday, Nov. 28 at 6:00 p.m., Rock Island Main Library Community Room, 401 19th Street. The library celebrates Native American Heritage Month with an evening of storytelling, singing and sharing by the Thunder Medicine drum group.
· Gift Guides: Thursday, November 29 from 2:00-4:00 p.m., Rock Island Main Library, 401 19th Street. Looking for a special gift for a book lover or technology fan? Librarians will help attendees sort through the choices to find the perfect gift during the holiday season.
· Lord of the Rings movie events: As part of a lead-up to the mid-December release of The Hobbit, the prequel to the Lord of the Rings saga by J.R. Tolkien, the Rock Island Public Library will show part 2 of the movie trilogy starting at 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 27 and part 3 staring at 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 6, in the Rock Island Main Library Community Room, 401 19th Street. The early start is due to the extended running times of both movies. Participants are encouraged to show up whenever they can to catch up on both classic stories.
Special programs just for teens:
· Teen Trivia Night, Tuesday, Dec. 11 from 5:30 to 7:00 p.m., Rock Island Southwest Branch Library, 9010 Ridgewood Road. A millionaire-style trivia game, just for teens ages 12 to 18. Participants may play in teams or as individuals to answer questions about a variety of topics for a chance to win prizes.
· Hobbit Party, Thursday, Dec. 13 from 5:30 to 7:00 p.m., Rock Island Main Library Community Room, 401 19th Street. Fans of Lord of the Rings can celebrate the upcoming release of the movie based The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien, with snacks, trivia, and a costume contest for those who choose to come in costume. (Costumes not required to attend.) Ages 12-18 only.
· Teen Gaming Nights: Thursday, Nov. 29, and Thursday, Dec. 20, at 5:30 p.m., at the Rock Island Main Library, 401 19th Street. Participants ages 12 to 18 can play Xbox 360 Kinect, Wii or old-school board games while enjoying snacks.
Help for the technology-perplexed:
If you've discovered that your new device didn't come with a manual, or you simply want to start 2013 with a better grasp of technology, the Rock Island Library will offer an ongoing series of "getting started" demonstrations and classes on technology. Upcoming classes include:
· Getting Started with eBooks and audiobooks: Wednesday, Dec. 12 at 6:00 p.m., Rock Island Southwest Branch, 9010 Ridgewood Road. Free demonstration on how download eBooks and audiobooks for free, by using the library's OverDrive and OneClickdigital services. Know someone who's getting an eReader? Another session will be offered at 2:00 p.m. on Wednesday, January 2,, 2013 at the Rock Island Main Library, 401 19th Street.
· Getting Started with Email Basics: Thursday, Dec. 20 at 1:30 p.m., Rock Island Main Library, 401 19th Street. Are you looking to get started with Email or not sure how to use the Email you have? Library staff will help you learn the basics. This is a hands-on class, so registration is required. Please call 732-7341. More "Getting Started" classes will be offered in 2013. Details are available online at www.rockislandlibrary.org or at library locations.
Rock Island Main, 30/31 and Southwest Branch locations close early at 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 21 to observe the Thanksgiving holiday on Thursday. All Rock Island Library locations will be open from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 23. For more library events, pick up a winter program brochure or monthly events calendar at any Rock Island Library, check the library calendar or news sections at www.rockislandlibrary.org, or sign up for news by email. For questions, please call 309-732-7323 (READ.)