More studies needed in apparent chokehold death


Share
Originally Posted Online: July 21, 2014, 10:21 am
Last Updated: July 21, 2014, 10:22 am
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story

NEW YORK (AP) — The medical examiner's office has not yet determined what caused the death of a New York City man who appeared to be held in a chokehold as police attempted to arrest him.

"The cause and manner of death are pending further studies, and no findings will be released until the investigation is complete," the city's medical examiner's office said in a statement released Sunday.

It was not clear when the medical examiner might issue its findings. A spokeswoman for the office declined to comment further on Monday.

Meanwhile, the fire department has barred four emergency workers from responding to 911 calls. They are employees of the Staten Island hospital where Garner was pronounced dead on Thursday. The medics' restricted duties will remain in effect pending an investigation into their actions, fire department spokesman James Long said Sunday.

Video of the arrest shot by a bystander shows one officer wrap his arm around Garner's neck as he is taken to the ground — arrested for allegedly selling untaxed, loose cigarettes — while Garner shouts, "I can't breathe!"

The fire department disclosed the medics' reassignment after a second video surfaced showing some half-dozen police officers and emergency workers circling a man who appears to be Garner lying on the sidewalk, handcuffed and unresponsive.

Long said modifying the emergency workers' duties — which includes a notice in their state health department file that they are not to respond to medical calls — is department protocol when questions arise about a medical response and was not a reaction to the post-arrest video.

A spokeswoman for the Richmond County Medical Center, where the medics work, did not immediately respond to messages.

The restrictions on the medical personnel came a day after the police department said it reassigned Daniel Pantaleo, the officer who used the apparent chokehold on Garner, and another unidentified officer while prosecutors and internal affairs detectives investigate. Chokeholds are banned under department policy.

The department said it stripped Pantaleo, an eight-year veteran of the force, of his gun and badge.

Court records show that within the past two years, three men sued Pantaleo in federal court over allegedly unlawful, racially motivated arrests. Pantaleo did not return a telephone message.
















 



Local events heading








  Today is Monday, Oct. 20, the 293rd day of 2014. There are 72 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: The store of Devoe and Crampton was entered and robbed of about $500 worth of gold pens and pocket cutlery last night.
1889 -- 125 years ago: Michael Malloy was named president of the Tri-City Stone Cutters Union.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Dewitte C. Poole, former Moline newspaperman serving as vice consul general for the United States government in Paris, declared in a letter to friends that the once gay Paris is a city of sadness and desolation.
1939 -- 75 years ago: Plans for the construction of an $80,000 wholesale bakery at 2011 4th Ave. were announced by Harry and Nick Coin, of Rock Island. It is to be known as the Banquet Bakery.
1964 -- 50 years ago: An application has been filed for a state permit to organize a savings and loan association in Moline, it was announced. The applicants are Ben Butterworth, A.B. Lundahl, C. Richard Evans, John Harris, George Crampton and William Getz, all of Moline, Charles Roberts, Rock Island, and Charles Johnson, of Hampton.
1989 -- 25 years ago: Indian summer is quickly disappearing as temperatures slide into the 40s and 50s this week. Last week, highs were in the 80s.


(More History)