Boy's death caused by improperly grounded camper


Share
Posted Online: July 21, 2014, 10:18 am
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story

DIXON, Ill. (AP) The accidental electrocution last month of a 3-year-old Illinois boy was caused by current from an improperly grounded family camper.

The (Dixon) Telegraph reports it's a problem known among recreational vehicle enthusiasts as 'hot skin.'

Landyn Gerald Keener, a 3-year-old from Amboy, died June 30 when he touched a door handle of the camper while standing on wet ground.

Lee County Sheriff John Varga calls it a tragic accident and says nobody was at fault.

Electrical engineer Mike Sokol tells the newspaper he's started a website to educate RV owners about electrical safety. He recommends buying a noncontact voltage tester at a hardware store to test for problems. He also recommends using only electrical outlets for RVs that were installed by a professional.

___

Online: http://www.noshockzone.org/
















 



Local events heading








  Today is Tuesday, Sept, 30, the 273rd day of 2014. There are 92 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: The ARGUS Boys are very anxious to attend the great Democratic mass meeting tomorrow and we shall therefore, print no paper on the day.
1889 — 125 years ago: H.J. Lowery resigned from his position as manager at the Harper House.
1914 — 100 years ago: Curtis & Simonson was the name of a new legal partnership formed by two younger members of the Rock Island County Bar. Hugh Cyrtis and Devore Simonson..
1939 — 75 years ago: Harry Grell, deputy county clerk was named county recorder to fill the vacancy caused by a resignation.
1964 — 50 years ago: A new world wide reader insurance service program offering around the clock accident protection for Argus subscribers and their families is announced today.
1989 — 25 years ago: Tomato plant and other sensitive greenery may have had a hard time surviving overnight as temperatures neared the freezing point.




(More History)