LOCAL FOOTBALL SCORING UPDATES PRESENTED BY THE HUNGRY HOBO:

Man gets 8 years for Woodhull incident


Share
Posted Online: April 04, 2014, 8:50 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
By Lisa Hammer, correspondent@qconline.com
A Woodhull man was sentenced to eight years in prison Friday after pleading guilty in Henry County Circuit Court to three felony counts related to a New Year's Day incident at a Woodhull apartment.

Travis M. Heady, 28, pleaded guilty to two counts of Class 2 felony possession of a weapon by a felon and Class 4 felony criminal trespass to a residence. He was sentenced to eight years on the Class 2 felonies and six years on the Class 4, all to be served concurrently.

In exchange for his plea, three counts were dismissed - a Class X felony home invasion charge and two Class 3 felony charges involving possession of a firearm by a felon.

Assistant state's attorney Brian Kerr said a neighbor reported two gunshots in an apartment across the street and identified Mr. Heady as the person who entered the apartment building.

Sgt. Greg Strandberg stopped Mr. Heady, who admitted he had a Smith & Wesson .44-caliber handgun. Six rounds of .44 ammunition were found in his pocket.

Further investigation indicated he entered the apartment of two women who said they heard loud noises and found Mr. Heady in their living room. The door had been kicked in, and they had not given him permission to enter.

Mr. Kerr said neither woman gave any evidence he had made moves towards them and, when they asked him to leave, he left.

Mr. Heady had been scheduled for a bench trial Friday. Had he been found guilty at trial, he faced a possible extended prison term on the Class 2 felonies of up to 28 years because of prior convictions for possession of stolen vehicles in Henry and Rock Island counties.



















 



Local events heading








  Today is Monday, Sept. 22, the 265th day of 2014. There are 100 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: The board of education has granted Thursday as a holiday for the children, with the expectation that parents who desire to have their children attend the Scott County Fair will do so on that day and save irregularity the rest of the week.
1889 -- 125 years ago: The guard fence around the new cement walk at the Harper House has been removed. The blocks are diamond shape, alternating in black and white.
1914 -- 100 years ago: The Rev. R.B. Williams, former pastor of the First Methodist Church, Rock Island, was named superintendent of the Rock Island District.
1939 -- 75 years ago: Abnormally high temperatures and lack of rainfall in Illinois during the past week have speeded maturing of corn and soybean crops.
1964 -- 50 years ago: Installation of a new television system in St. Anthony's Hospital, which includes a closed circuit channel as well as the three regular Quad-Cities channels, has been completed and now is in operation.
1989 -- 25 years ago: When the new Moline High School was built in 1958, along with it were plans to construct a football field in the bowl near 34th Street on the campus. Wednesday afternoon, more than 30 years later, the Moline Board of Education Athletic Board sent the ball rolling toward the possible construction of that field by asking superintendent Richard Hennigan to take to the board of education a proposal to hire a consultant.






(More History)