Marjorie Parker

Posted Online: March 08, 2014, 7:03 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Marjorie R. Parker, 100, of Moline, died Friday, March 7, 2014, at The Lighthouse of Silvis.
Services are 11 a.m. Tuesday at First Congregational Church, Moline, with the Rev. Todd Bean officiating. Visitation will be one hour before the service, and a light luncheon will follow. Family and friends are invited to attend either or both. Burial will be at Cordova Cemetery. Memorials may be made to the church. Trimble Funeral and Cremation Center, Moline, is entrusted with arrangements.
The former Ida Marjorie Riewerts was born to William and Clara Wells Riewerts on June 4, 1913, on a farm near Hillsdale, the oldest of seven children. She attended Bluff School, about a mile away from home, and as a first-grader rode a horse to school. Her father put her on the horse at home and the big boys at school helped her off. It was a one-room schoolhouse and had grades one through eight.
She attended high school in Hillsdale and graduated in 1932. She then enrolled at Western Illinois University in Macomb, where she earned a teachers certificate. Later, she taught in one-room schools in Rock Island County. From 1957 to 1973, she taught third grade at Roosevelt School in Moline.
Marjorie married Paul B. Parker in 1935 and they shared 44 years together until his death in 1979. They had three children. She was an active member of First Congregational Church, Moline, for more than 60 years. She also enjoyed King's Daughters and the Retired Teacher's Association. She was devoted to her family and loved family affairs. She was quiet and unassuming and could always be depended on for loving support.
Survivors include three children and their spouses, William and Jane Parker, of East Moline, Robert and Sandy Parker, of Moline, and Linda Wisner, of Santa Barbara, Calif.; grandchildren, Lynn Burton, Sara Birtell, Susan Robinson, Katy Dickson, Wells Parker, Linda Kuhns, Ross Borden and Bill Borden; great-grandchildren, MacKenzie Bowen, Rebecca Turnquist, Parker, Katelyn and Sydney Birtell, Parker and Jordan Meadows, Paul and Sara Robinson, Michael, Audrey and Sydney Dickson, Clara and Anders Parker, Jude and Zachery Raymond and Nicholas, Casey, Josie, Wells and Lulu Borden; two great-great-grandchildren; and siblings, Roger Riewerts, Mildred Woodburn and Delma Jean Walline. She was preceded in death by her son-in-law, Peter Wisner; and three brothers, Raymond, Leland and Wayne Riewerts.
Marjorie's family invites friends to share stories and condolences and light a candle in her memory at


Local events heading

  Today is Saturday, Aug. 30, the 242nd day of 2014. There are 123 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: A large pair of elk, captured in Iowa, were exhibited in Market Square today.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Rock Island Arsenal dam was being constructed under the supervision of Charles Frances, of Lowell, Mass.
1914 — 100 years ago: Mrs. Frank Mixer, of Rock Island, was the winner of the final preliminary for the women's handicap golf cup at Rock Island arsenal links.
1939 — 75 years ago: Sixteen hundred persons — many from war-fearful Europe — arrived in New York aboard the German liner Bremen. For two days on the trip, passengers were cut off from the world with both incoming and outgoing radio messages banned.
1964 — 50 years ago: Police reported five youths have been involved in the theft of about seven cars in recent weeks. Three of the youths were arrested Saturday afternoon, one was in custody as the result of a previous arrest, and the fifth is expected to be arrested today.
1989 — 25 years ago: The Rock Island/Milan School Board is asking the city to tear down Franklin School and allow the school district to pay back the estimated $100,00 cost during 10 years.

(More History)