Today's campaign-closing Quad-Cities Prep Basketball Power Poll looks an awful lot like the season-starting local boys' rankings.
Of the final Top 10 teams, eight were in that elite class when the bi-state ballot debuted a seventh season back in early December.
The tumblers included Moline (16-12), which started eighth but finished 11th in Thursday's vote, and Pleasant Valley (14-9), with an injury to senior star Austin Esters derailing a ninth-place start to off the voting radar.
Taking their place in the final rankings were Iowa Class 3A state-qualifier Central DeWitt (21-3), which began sharing a 12th-place tie, but finished in the eight-spot, and Illinois 2A regional finalist Kewanee (21-7) claiming 10th after starting 14th.
The biggest mover was Illinois 1A sectional finalist Wethersfield (30-2), which jumped from a season-starting 10th place perch all the way to No. 5 in today's final tally.
Otherwise, it's remarkable to note Rock Island (3rd) and North Scott (4th) started where they finished, and the same was nearly true for Rockridge (2nd to 1st), Bettendorf (1st to 2nd), Sterling Newman (7th to 6th), Monmouth-Roseville (5th to 7th) and Galesburg (6th to 9th).
Of the 17 teams receiving voting interest in the initial rankings, the 14 squads appearing in the final rankings all were mentioned, too.
The Dispatch and The Rock Island Argus administered the local poll for a seventh straight season.
Rockridge (28-0) ruled the roost the final five weeks of boys' votes.
Illinois Class 2A's top-ranked Rockets head into tonight's sectional final at Stanford Olympia having again received 15 of the 20 first-place votes for 194 of a possible 200 voting points from local sportswriters and broadcasters.
Iowa 4A's second-rated boys' squad, state-bound Bettendorf (22-1), also stayed in second place, accounting for the other five top nods and 173 points.
Also holding their poll positions from last week were Wethersfield (5th) and Central DeWitt (8th).
Rocky (4th to 3rd), Newman (7th to 6th) and Galesburg (12th to 9th) were the climbers this final week.
Falling with season-ending losses were North Scott (3rd to 4th), Monmouth-Roseville (6th to 7th), Kewanee (9th to 10th) and Moline (10th to 11th).
QC Prep Basketball Power Poll
-- These local media rankings are determined on a descending points system, with a first-place vote receiving 10 points, a second-place vote receiving 9 points, and so on. Presented by The Dispatch and The Rock Island Argus, WQAD-TV 8, Mediacom's MC22, WFXN-AM 1230's Quad Cities Radio Group, Aledo's WRMJ-FM 102.3, Kewanee-based Regional Media, the Kewanee Star-Courier and QCSportsNet. Records through Thursday. The final girls' rankings were released Feb. 20. Today marks the final boys' poll of the season.
BOYS: (Final) Rank. Team (1st) Rec. Pts. Prv.
1. Rockridge (15) 28-0 194 1 -- Last week: Beat No. 9 Kewanee, 75-57 Wednesday in the Illinois 2A Sherrard Regional championship; Beat No. 6 Monmouth-Roseville, 76-51 in the Illinois 2A Stanford Olympia Sectional semifinals. Comment: Can anyone stop the top-ranked Rockets from an expected state title? Certainly not a pair of Top 10-rated local foes in the last week. Wisconsin-bound Ethan Happ and fellow major-college prospect Bryan Heath are absolute matchup nightmares. Next: Tonight vs. state-rated Bloomington Central Catholic in the Illinois 2A Stanford Olympia "Sweet 16'' Sectional title game.
2. Bettendorf (5) 22-1 173 2 -- Last week: Beat Davenport West, 62-24 Friday (semifinals) and Beat Davenport Central, 59-38 Tuesday (finals) in Iowa's 4A Substate 5. Comment: Back to the state's "Elite Eight'' again and looking to take Des Moines by storm as the top seed. The Bulldogs have the senior leadership and talent to improve on last year's runner-up finish with the school's third state title in boys' basketball. Next: Wednesday vs. eighth-seeded Urbandale in Iowa 4A's state tournament "Elite Eight.''
3. Rock Island 18-8 152 4 -- Last week: Beat No. 10 Moline, 64-56 Friday; Beat No. 10 Moline, 62-42 Wednesday in the Illinois 4A Rock Island Regional semifinals. Comment: Counting three postseason victories, the Rocks are 46-7 against Western Big 6 foes during a five-year reign as conference champs. One more league hurdle to clear tonight, with the Rocks winning a 3A state title the last time they went 10-0 in league games in 2011. Next: Tonight vs. No. 13t United Township in the Illinois 4A Rock Island Regional title game.
4. North Scott 21-2 119 3 -- Last week: Beat Pleasant Valley, 60-31 Friday (semifinals) and Lost to Cedar Rapids Kennedy, 46-43 Tuesday (finals) in Iowa 4A's Substate 4. Comment: Iowa 4A's third-ranked club got upset in the "Sweet 16.'' So while there's no expected state trip to Des Moines for the Lancers, expect a youuthful and talented core to come back hungry for more next season. Next: SEASON OVER.
5. Wethersfield 30-2 117 5 -- Last week: Beat Galva, 61-51 Friday in the Illinois 1A Abingdon-Avon Regional championship; Beat state-rated Brimfield, 48-45 Tuesday in the Illinois 1A Brimfield Sectional semifinals. Comment: Trevor Lay only checks in at 5-foot-9, but one of the most-prolific scorers this area has ever seen is just a flat out baller. It'd be awesome to see the senior guard add to a 13-game winning streak and carry the Flying Geese all the way to the state's "Final Four.'' Next: Tonight vs. Mendon Unity in the Illinois 1A Brimfield "Sweet 16'' Sectional title game.
6. Sterling Newman 28-2 101 7 -- Last week: Beat No. 11 Fulton, 67-54 Friday in the Illinois 2A Morrison Regional championship; Beat Seneca, 54-39 Wednesday in the Illinois 2A Bureau Valley Sectional semifinals. Comment: Three "Sweet 16'' appearances in as many years says a lot about the Comets' recent dominance. Ditto for a 75-18 record the last three seasons combined. If the seeds hold tonight, Newman gets a rematch next week with No. 1 Rockridge with a "Final Four'' berth on the line. Next: Tonight vs. state-rated Elmhurst IC Catholic in the Illinois 2A Bureau Valley "Sweet 16'' Sectional title game.
7. Monmouth-Roseville 22-5 81 6 -- Last week: Beat Macomb, 62-61 (overtime) Friday in the Illinois 2A Macomb Regional championship; Lost to No. 1 Rockridge, 76-51 in the Illinois 2A Stanford Olympia Sectional semifinals. Comment: The Titans got their long-talked-about sectional showdown with their former league rivals. Too bad the setback doesn't accurately sum up a 74-15 run over the last three seasons with three regional and one sectional crown. Next: SEASON OVER.
8. Central DeWitt 21-3 56 8 -- Last week: Beat Benton Community, 58-47 Monday in Iowa 3A's Substate 5 championship. Comment: The Sabres finally got back to the promised land, last booking an "Elite Eight'' state date in 1996. The only other time DeWitt got to Des Moines was in 1981 for a 2A state title. Next: Tuesday vs. sixth-seeded MOC-Floyd Valley in Iowa 3A's state tournament "Elite Eight.''
9. Galesburg 22-10 37 12 -- Last week: Beat United Township, 68-58 Friday; Beat Geneseo, 66-45 Tuesday in the Illinois 3A Geneseo Regional semifinals. Comment: The Silver Streaks apeear to have their mojo back at just the right time after a late four-game losing streak. And, with top-seeded, state-ranked, 2013 third-place state finisher Bartonville Limestone getting upset in the Manual Regional, the Peoria Sectional looks to be wide open for the taking next week. Next: Tonight vs. Dunlap in Illinois 3A's Geneseo Regional title game.
10. Kewanee 21-7 33 9 -- Last week: Lost to No. 1 Rockridge, 75-57 Wednesday in the Illinois 2A Sherrard Regional championship. Comment: With double-double averaging super sophomore Donovan Oliver around for two more years, expect nothing but great things in the future from the Boilermakers. Next; SEASON OVER.
ALSO RECEIVING VOTES:
11. Moline 16-14 20 10 -- Last week: Lost at No. 4 Rock Island, 64-56 Friday; Lost to No. 4 Rock Island, 62-42 Wednesday in the 4A Rock Island Regional semifinals. Comment: Nothing like ending your last two seasons at the hands of your oldest and biggest rival. Don't think the Maroons won't use that for motivation moving forward. Next: SEASON OVER.
12. Fulton 21-10 13 11 -- Last week: Lost to No. 7 Sterling Newman, 67-54 Friday in the 2A Morrison Regional championship. Comment: From a six-win campaign to 21 victories and a regional final, Fulton great R.J. Coffey restored the Steamers' tradition in his first season. Next: SEASON OVER.
13 (tie). Ridgewood 16-12 2 13 -- Last week: SEASON OVER. Comment: The Spartans struggled down the stretch, but at least they put a scare into Lincoln Trail Conference champ Wethersfield, falling by four points in their season finale during the regional. Next: SEASON OVER.
13 (tie). United Township 7-21 2 NR -- Last week: Lost at No. 9 Galesburg, 68-58 Friday; Beat Pekin, 40-34 Monday (quarterfinals), and Beat top-seed Ottawa, 72-62 Tuesday (semifinals) in the Illinois 4A Rock Island Sectional. Comment: How much of a difference has late-season transfer Jerry Myles made? The ballyhooed sophomore recruit has the Panthers playing for a regional title after only five regular-season wins. Next: Tonight vs. No. 3 Rock Island in the Illinois 4A Rock Island Regional title game.
Dropped out: Bureau Valley (20-12).
ALSO ON THE RADAR:
NR. Bureau Valley 20-12 0 14 -- Last week: Lost Seneca, 59-54 Friday in the 2A Princeton Regional championship. Comment: The Storm never quite exceeded the high point of their January upset of No. 6 Newman. Next: SEASON OVER.
NR. Pleasant Valley 14-9 0 NR -- Last week: Lost at No. 3 North Scott, 60-31 Friday in Iowa 4A's Substate 4 semifinals. Comment: The injury-riddled Spartans never gave up this season. Next: SEASON OVER.
NR. Davenport Central 13-10 0 NR -- Last week: Beat Muscatine, 68-62 Friday (semis) but lost to No. 1 Bettendorf, 59-38 Tuesday in Iowa 4A's Substate 5 semifinals. Comment: The Blue Devils were unable to reclaim that upset magic used last month on No. 2 Bettendorf. Next: SEASON OVER.
NR. Clinton 13-9 0 NR -- Last week: SEASON OVER. Comment: The River Kings never quite took off after a promising start behind a pair of 6-foot-8 college recruits. Next: SEASON OVER.
BOYS: 1. Rockridge 2. Rock island 3. Bettendorf 4. Wethersfield 5. North Scott 6. Monmouth-Roseville 7. Sterling Newman 8. Kewanee 9. Fulton 10. Moline
QC Prep Basketball Power Poll glance
— These local media rankings are determined on a descending points system, with a first-place vote receiving 10 points, a second-place vote receiving 9 points, and so on. Presented by The Dispatch and The Rock Island Argus. Voting members of the poll include WQAD-TV 8, Mediacom's MC22, WFXN-AM 1230's Quad Cities Radio Group, Aledo's WRMJ-FM 102.3, Kewanee-based Regional Media, the Kewanee Star-Courier and QCSportsNet. Records through Thursday. This is the final boys' rankings of the season. The final girls' rankings were released Feb. 20.