The Quad Cities Prep Basketball Power Poll became a boys' club Thursday.
With all of the local girls' squads either finished or in the postseason — including No. 1 Annawan and No. 3 Prophetstown chasing state titles this weekend — the local media rankings shifted to a boys-only vote.
The last of the local boys' teams join the remaining girls' squads for "March Madness" next week, corresponding with the final bi-state boys' ballot of the season.
The Dispatch and The Rock Island Argus administers the local poll for a seventh straight season. Participating co-sponsors include WQAD-TV 8, Mediacom's MC22, WFXN-AM 1230's Quad Cities Radio Group, Aledo's WRMJ-FM 102.3, the Kewanee-based Regional Radio Group, the Kewanee Star-Courier and QCSportsNet.
Rockridge (25-0) heads into tonight's Sherrard Regional title game still on top. Illinois Class 2A's top-ranked boys' team received 15 of the 20 first-place votes again and inched closer to unanimous status, increasing to 193 of a possible 200 voting points from local sportswriters and broadcasters.
Iowa 4A's second-rated squad, Bettendorf (20-1), also stayed in second place, accounting for the other five top nods and 178 points.
But while Rockridge and Bettendorf were among half of last week's Top 10 teams retaining their poll positions, there was plenty of movement this week in the local rankings.
Western Big 6 champ Rock Island (third to fourth), and conference rival Moline (eighth to 10th), both tumbled in the bi-state ballot with losses last weekend.
Taking advantage were North Scott (fourth to third), Central DeWitt (ninth to eighth) and Kewanee (10th to ninth).
Wethersfield (fifth), Monmouth-Roseville (sixth) and Sterling Newman (seventh) also held their spots, though M-R's Titans (21-4) drew within a point of the Flying Geese (29-2).
In all, the same 14 teams received some sort of voting recognition from panelists this second-to-last week of the poll.
QC Prep Basketball Power Poll
-- These local media rankings are determined on a descending points system, with a first-place vote receiving 10 points, a second-place vote receiving 9 points, and so on. Presented by The Dispatch and The Rock Island Argus, WQAD-TV 8, Mediacom's MC22, WFXN-AM 1230's Quad Cities Radio Group, Aledo's WRMJ-FM 102.3, Kewanee-based Regional Media, the Kewanee Star-Courier and QCSportsNet. Records through Thursday. The final girls' rankings were released Feb. 20.
BOYS: Rank. Team (1st) Rec. Pts. Prv.
1. Rockridge (15) 26-0 193 1 -- Last week: Beat Peru St. Bede, 84-33 Friday; Beat Mercer County, 62-26 Wednesday in Illinois 2A's Sherrard Regional semifinals. Comment: The perfect Rockets seek a second straight regional crown tonight. Can the school's first-ever sectional title be in the offing for Illinois 2A's top-ranked team? Next: Tonight vs. No. 9 Kewanee in the 2A Sherrard Regional championship.
2. Bettendorf (5) 20-1 178 2 -- Last week: Beat Davenport North, 71-23 Friday. Comment: The 'Dog Pound will be rocking tonight for the last game at Bettendorf for a senior class that's gone 45-2 the last two seasons. A berth in the Substate title game is at stake for Iowa 4A's second-rated squad. Next: Tonight hosts Davenport West in Iowa's 4A Substate 5 semifinals.
3. North Scott 20-1 145 4 -- Last week: Won at Burlington, 38-29 Friday. Comment: Iowa 4A's third-ranked team catches a postseason break this season, with No. 2 Bettendorf in a different Substate bracket. Four of the Lancers' five losses the last two seasons have been to the traditional state-tournament-blocking Bulldogs. So is the school's third all-time trip to the big dance in Des Moines in the cards? Next: Tonight hosts Pleasant Valley in Iowa 4A's Substate 4 semifinals.
4. Rock Island 16-8 137 3 -- Last week: Won at No. 11 Galesburg, 74-64 Friday; Lost to state-rated Peoria Manual, 76-62 Saturday. Comment: The 5-time reigning Western Big 6 champs look to complete a 10-0 conference slate tonight against their oldest rivals. Five days later, the two meet again, with the Rocks seeded second and seeking a 35th regional title in the school's rich hoops history. Next: Tonight hosts No. 10 Moline; Wednesday vs. No. 10 Moline in the 4A Rock Island Regional semifinals.
5. Wethersfield 28-2 105 5 -- Last week: Won at Annawan, 81-55 Friday; Beat Ridgewood, 72-68 Wednesday in Illinois 1A's Abingdon-Avon Regional semifinals. Comment: Illinois 1A's fifth-ranked team is rematched with another Lincoln Trail Conference foe tonight. A second straight regional title keeps the Flying Geese on track for hoped-for sectional showdowns with fellow state-rated squads Brimfield (4th) and Payson Seymour (3rd). Next: Tonight vs. Galva in the 1A Abingdon-Avon Regional championship.
6. Monmouth-Roseville 21-4 104 6 -- Last week: Beat Macomb, 52-49 Friday; Beat Farmington, 92-58 Wednesday in Illinois 2A's Macomb Regional semifinals. Comment: The West Central North champs have their own conference rematch tonight, a week after edging their title foil by three points at the Shoe Box. Illinois 2A's fourth-rated club seeks a third straight regional crown and sectional semifinal showdown with a former league rival, top-ranked Rockridge. Next: Tonight vs. Macomb in the 2A Macomb Regional championship.
7. Sterling Newman 26-2 91 7 -- Last week: Beat West Carroll, 77-62 Tuesday in Illinois 2A's Morrison Regional semifinals. Comment: A golden era for Comets' basketball comes down to a conference rematch for a third straight regional title. With a win tonight, the Three Rivers North champs might meet another league rival, No. 14 Bureau Valley, in the sectional semis before an expected showdown happens between Illinois 2A state-rated squads -- No. 3 Newman and No. 7 Winnebago. These seniors already are 73-18 over the last three seasons with an Elite Eight (1A in 2012) and another Sweet 16 (2A in 2013) under their belts. Next: Tonight vs. No. 11 Fulton in the 2A Morrison Regional championship.
8. Central DeWitt 20-3 46 9 -- Last week: Beat Anamosa, 53-34 Monday (semifinals) and Beat Maquoketa, 56-43 Thursday (championship) in Iowa 3A's District 9. Comment: Iowa 3A's sixth-rated squad is a win away from reaching the state tournament for the fourth time in school history. However, a fellow state-rated squad stands in the way of the Sabres first state date since 2007. Next: Monday vs. Benton Community in Iowa 3A's Substate 5 championship.
9. Kewanee 21-6 41 10 -- Last week: Beat Sherrard, 79-54 Wednesday in Illinois 2A's Sherrard Regional semifinals. Comment: The Boilermakers got their wish, reaching a "three-match'' with top-ranked Rockridge in the regional title title. Now, can Illinois 2A's 16th-rated squad keep the showdown within 20 points? Kewanee lost to the Rockets by 54 points (102-48 on Feb. 7) and 20 points (74-54 on Jan. 10), respectively, earlier this season. Next: Tonight vs. No. 1 Rockridge in the 2A Sherrard Regional championship.
10. Moline 16-12 28.5 8 -- Last week: Lost to Quincy, 50-41 Friday; Lost to state-rated Lincoln, 68-39 Saturday. Comment: The Maroons fell a last-second shot shy of upsetting Big 6 champ Rocky last month. Now, they have to visit the Rock Garden twice in the next five days, with their season squarely on the line next week. Next: Tonight at No. 4 Rock Island; Wednesday vs. No. 4 Rock Island in the 4A Rock Island Regional semifinals.
ALSO RECEIVING VOTES:
11. Fulton 21-9 16.5 12 -- Last week: Won at No. 14 Bureau Valley, 77-59 Friday; Beat Morrison, 71-63 Wednesday in Illinois 2A's Morrison Regional semifinals. Comment: The Steamers are back, going from six wins each of the last two seasons, to their first 20-win season since 2002-03. Can Fulton get back to a sectional, though, last winning a regional in 2001. Next: Tonight vs. No. 7 Sterling Newman in the 2A Morrison Regional championship.
12. Galesburg 20-10 10 11 -- Last week: Lost to No. 3 Rock Island, 74-64 Friday; Beat Chillicothe IVC, 50-41 Saturday. Comment: The Silver Streaks snapped a four-game slide and finally reached the 20-win mark. No worries; Galesburg still is favored to repeat as regional champs as the top seed next week at Geneseo. Next: Tonight hosts United Township; Tuesday vs. Geneseo-Alleman winner in the 3A Geneseo Regional semifinals.
13. Ridgewood (16-12) 3 13 -- Last week: Won at Biggsville West Central, 92-64 Friday; Beat Sciota West Prairie, 48-39 Monday (quarterfinals), but lost to No. 5 Wethersfield, 72-68 Wednesday (semifinals) in Illinois 1A's Abingdon-Avon Regional. Comment: The Spartans struggled down the stretch, but at least they put a scare into the Lincoln Trail Conference champs in their season finale. Next: SEASON OVER.
14. Bureau Valley (20-11) 2 14 -- Last week: Lost to No. 12 Fulton, 77-59 Friday; Beat Spring Valley Hall, 68-60 Wednesday in Illinois 2A's Princeton Regional semifinals. Comment: The Storm are shooting for their first regional crown since 2005 against the defending regional champs. Next: Tonight vs. Seneca in the 2A Princeton Regional championship.
-- Dropping out: None.
ALSO ON THE RADAR:
NR. Pleasant Valley (14-8) -- Last week: Beat Assumption, 50-47 Friday; Beat Cedar Rapids Kennedy, 47-45 Monday in Iowa 4A's Sub-State 4 playoffs. Comment: The Spartans have gotten hot at the right time, winning 7 of their last 8, the lone loss coming to No. 3 North Scott 10 days ago. Next: Tonight at No. 3 North Scott in Iowa 4A's Substate 4 semifinals.
NR. Davenport Central (12-9) -- Last week: Lost at Davenport West, 69-60 Friday. Comment: Trying tonight to reach the rubbermatch of a three-game season series with No. 2 Bettendorf. The Blue Devils remain the only squad to beat the Bulldogs. Next: Tonight hosts Muscatine in Iowa 4A's Substate 5 semifinals.
NR. Clinton (13-9) -- Last week: Beat Muscatine, 54-36 Friday; Lost to Cedar Rapids Washington, 68-59 Monday in Iowa 4A's Sub-State 4 playoffs. Comment: Shocking end to a once-promising season, with the River Kings losing four of their last six games. Next: SEASON OVER.
BOYS: 1. Rockridge 2. Bettendorf 3. Rock Island 4. North Scott 5. Wethersfield 6. Sterling Newman 7. Monmouth-Roseville 8. Kewanee 9. Moline 10. Bureau Valley
QC Prep Basketball Power Poll glance
— These local media rankings are determined on a descending points system, with a first-place vote receiving 10 points, a second-place vote receiving 9 points, and so on. Presented by The Dispatch and The Rock Island Argus, WQAD-TV 8, Mediacom's MC22, WFXN-AM 1230's Quad Cities Radio Group, Aledo's WRMJ-FM 102.3, Kewanee-based Regional Media, the Kewanee Star-Courier and QCSportsNet. Records through Thursday. The final girls rankings were released Feb. 20.
Today is Tuesday, July 22, the 203rd day of 2014. There are 162 days left in the year.
1864 -- 150 years ago: Everybody is invited to go on a moonlight excursion next Monday evening on the steamer New Boston. The trip will be from Davenport to Muscatine and back. 1889 -- 125 years ago: The mayor and bridge committee let a contract to the Clinton Bridge company for a $1,125 iron bridge across Sears canal near Milan. 1914 -- 100 years ago: Injunction proceedings to compel the Central Association to keep a baseball team in Rock Island for the remainder of the season were contemplated by some of the Rock Island fans, but they decided to defer action. 1939 -- 75 years ago: The first of the new and more powerful diesel engines built for the Rock Island Lines for the proposed Chicago-Denver run, passed thru the Tri-Cities this morning. 1964 -- 50 years ago: The Rock Island Rescue Mission is negotiating for the purchase of the Prince Hall Masonic Home located at 37th Avenue and 5th Street, Rock Island. 1989 -- 25 years ago: Quad Cities Container Terminal is being lauded as a giant business boon that will save several days and hundreds of dollars on each goods shipment to the coasts. The Quad Cities Container Terminal is the final piece of the puzzle that opens up increase access to world markets, Robert Goldstein said.