PREP FOOTBALL SCORING UPDATES PRESENTED BY THE HUNGRY HOBO:

Ralph Smith


Share
Posted Online: May 07, 2013, 4:59 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Ralph A. Smith, 76, of Geneseo, passed away Monday, May 6, 2013, at Hammond-Henry Long Term Care Unit, Geneseo.
Ralph has donated his body to the University of Iowa for anatomical study. A memorial service celebrating his life will be held 1 p.m. Saturday, May 25, in the Vandemore Funeral Home, Geneseo. Memorials may be left to Izaak Walton League, Geneseo Chapter.
Ralph was born on March 13, 1937, in Toulon, Ill., the son of Duane and Doris Rist Smith. He was united in marriage to Lois G. Walsh on Sept. 5, 1959, in Cuba, Ill. Lois preceded him in death in 2011.
Ralph worked 34 years for John Deere & Co. as a draftsman engineer from which he retired in 1992.
He had been a member of the First United Methodist Church in Geneseo. He was very active in the Izaak Walton League, Boy Scouts of America and Carpenters for Christ, and he and his wife Lois were very active and instrumental in the Heifer Project International and promoting their organization. Ralph started and organized mission trips to Jamaica for dental care for the needy, which are still ongoing today. The past two years they dedicated their trip to Ralph in his name.
He enjoyed and appreciated the wonderful service the First Baptist Church provided on Sundays at the Long Term Care Unit. He enjoyed woodworking, yard work and tending his roses.
Survivors include two sons, Patrick (Mary) Smith, Commerce City, Colo., Robert P. (Sharon) James, Geneseo; a daughter: Laurie (Jim) Cullen, Roswell, Ga.; a daughter-in-law, Linda James, Tomah, Wis.; six grandchildren, Jennifer, Heather, Christopher, Melissa, Jorden and Delaney; two great-grandchildren, Alicia and Camden. Ralph was preceded by his parents; his wife Lois; a son Hank James; 3 brothers; and his granddaughter, Tyler.
Share a message of sympathy with family at vandemorefuneralhome.com












 




Local events heading








  Today is Saturday, Aug. 30, the 242nd day of 2014. There are 123 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: A large pair of elk, captured in Iowa, were exhibited in Market Square today.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Rock Island Arsenal dam was being constructed under the supervision of Charles Frances, of Lowell, Mass.
1914 — 100 years ago: Mrs. Frank Mixer, of Rock Island, was the winner of the final preliminary for the women's handicap golf cup at Rock Island arsenal links.
1939 — 75 years ago: Sixteen hundred persons — many from war-fearful Europe — arrived in New York aboard the German liner Bremen. For two days on the trip, passengers were cut off from the world with both incoming and outgoing radio messages banned.
1964 — 50 years ago: Police reported five youths have been involved in the theft of about seven cars in recent weeks. Three of the youths were arrested Saturday afternoon, one was in custody as the result of a previous arrest, and the fifth is expected to be arrested today.
1989 — 25 years ago: The Rock Island/Milan School Board is asking the city to tear down Franklin School and allow the school district to pay back the estimated $100,00 cost during 10 years.






(More History)