Neil Kleiber


Share
Posted Online: April 25, 2013, 6:19 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Neil P. Kleiber, 85, of Moline, passed away on Wednesday, April 24, 2013, at Silver Cross Health & Rehab Pavilion at Friendship Manor, Rock Island.
Funeral services will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Saturday, April 27, at DeRoo Funeral Home, Moline. Visitation is Saturday from 9 a.m. until the time of services at the funeral home. Entombment will be in St. Mary's Mausoleum, East Moline. Memorials may be made to the American Lung Association.
Neil was born on April 19, 1928, in Big Bay, Mich., the son of Chester and Marie Aird Kleiber. He married Joyce Ann Hempel, in Rock Island on Feb. 18, 1950. She preceded him in death on Jan. 12, 1955. He later married Helen Beyer on July 14, 1956, in Moline.
Neil worked on the Rock Island Arsenal in the U.S. Army Armament Command for 34 years, retiring in 1983.
He was a member of Sacred Heart Catholic Church and the Moline Elks Club.
Neil loved hearing stories and talking with his grandchildren. He enjoyed fishing, hunting, yard work and was an avid Chicago Cubs fan. He served as a Scout Master in his earlier years and was active in the Dad's Club at Wells School, East Moline. Neil also was a past secretary of the R.I. Businessmen's Bowling League.
Surviving are his wife, Helen; sons and daughters-in-law, John and Linda Kleiber, Rock Island, and Paul and Kathie Kleiber, Aurora, Colo.; grandchildren, Kristina (Micah) Schmitt, Milwaukee, Wis., Jenna (James) Crellin, Aurora, and Erin (Jeremy) Mahr, Rock Island; and great-grandchildren, Owen and Lauren Schmitt and Jackson Crellin. He was preceded in death by his parents; two brothers; and a sister.
Online condolences may be sent to the family at deroofuneralhome.com.












 



Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, April 23, the 113th day of 2014. There are 252 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: Some persons are negotiating for 80 feet of ground on Illinois Street with a view of erecting four stores thereon. It would serve a better purpose if the money was invested in neat tenement houses.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Central station, car house and stables of the Moline-Rock Island Horse Railway line of the Holmes syndicate, together with 15 cars and 42 head of horses, were destroyed by fire. The loss was at $15,000.
1914 — 100 years ago: Vera Cruz, Mexico, after a day and night of resistance to American forces, gradually ceased opposition. The American forces took complete control of the city.
1939 — 75 years ago: Dr. R. Bruce Collins was reelected for a second term as president of the Lower Rock Island County Tuberculosis Association.
1964 — 50 years ago: Work is scheduled to begin this summer on construction of a new men's residence complex and an addition to the dining facilities at Westerlin Hall at Augustana College.
1989 — 25 years ago: Special Olympics competitors were triple winners at Rock Island High School Saturday. The participants vanquished the rain that fell during the competition, and some won their events; but most important, they triumphed over their own disabilities.




(More History)