Marion Swanson


Share
Posted Online: April 22, 2013, 6:20 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Marion E. Swanson, 97, of Silvis, formerly of Moline, died on Sunday, April 21, 2013, in Illini Restorative Care, Silvis.
Services are at 1:30 p.m. Saturday in the Celebration of Life Chapel at Trimble Funeral and Cremation Center, Moline, with the Rev. Randy Willers officiating. Private burial will follow at Swedona Lutheran Cemetery, Richland Grove Township. Visitation is one hour before the services. Memorials may be made to Salem Lutheran Church, Moline, or Swedona Lutheran Church.
The former Marion Elizabeth Peterson was born on May 18, 1915, in Lynn Center, the daughter of Elmer W. and Marie Johnson Peterson. She married Carroll Broman in 1941 in Swedona. He died in January 1945 in Luxembourg during World War II. She later married Glenn Swanson in 1963 in Moline. He passed away in March 1999.
Marion graduated from Orion High School and attended a two-year elementary course at Western Illinois University in Macomb. She was a school teacher for nine years in rural schools in Mercer and Henry counties. She worked for the federal government for five years in Long Beach, Calif., at the Rent Control and Veterans Administration, where she was in charge of the pension department. She also was employed at the Rock Island Arsenal for 13 years in cost and general accounting. She was a member of Salem Lutheran Church, Moline, and Naomi Circle at the church.
Marion is survived by a niece, Betty Sweeney, Indian Wells, Calif.; four great-nieces and great-nephews and their families; and special friends, neighbors and caretakers, Phyllis and Bernie Zerull, Belvidere, Ill., and Emily Zerull-Diebold and her husband, Jay Diebold, Berwyn, Ill. She was preceded in death by her two husbands; her parents; a brother, Paul Peterson; and a niece, Marilyn Peterson.
Remembrances and condolences may be shared with the family at TrimbleFuneralHomes.com.














 




Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, Sept. 17, the 260th day of 2014. There are 105 days left in the year.
1864 -- 150 years ago: We are told league merchants have paid no attention to the prohibition on selling ammunition, but continue to sell just as before the order was issued.
1889 -- 125 years ago: The Rev. R.F. Sweet, rector of Trinity Episcopal Parish, left for the East to visit his boyhood home in Boston before attending the general convention of the Episcopal Church in New York.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Dr. E.A. Anderson was named to succeed Dr. E.L. Kerns as head physician of the Modern Woodmen of America, and moved to Rock Island from Holdingford, Minn.
1939 -- 75 years ago: One week late, because of the outbreak of war, Dr. E.L. Beyer resumed his work as professor of romance languages at Augustana College. Dr. and Mrs. Beyer left Germany on the last train to the Belgian border.
1964 -- 50 years ago: Employees in Turnstyle stores in Moline and Davenport will vote Oct. 2 in an election set up by the Chicago regional office of the National Labor Relations Board. Employees will vote either for the Retail Clerk International or for no union.
1989 -- 25 years ago: Rock Island High School is considering a step to help teen moms stay in school and get their diploma. The school board is expected to vote tonight on instituting an on-site child care center.




(More History)