John Collins


Share
Posted Online: April 22, 2013, 6:20 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Dr. John William Collins, 93, of Newburgh, Ind., passed away at the Village at Hamilton Pointe, Newburgh, on April 14, 2013.
Dr. Collins will be interred in the Chapel Mausoleum at Memorial Park Cemetery in Evansville, Ind., in a private ceremony. Memorial contributions for pre-theology student scholarships may be made to the Sturm Fund, c/o the University of Evansville, 1800 Lincoln Ave., Evansville, IN 47714. Titzer Family Funeral Homes, Evansville, is assisting family with arrangements.
He was born on Oct. 23, 1919, in Princeton, Ind., the third of five children of Oscar L. Collins and Fannie M. Davis Collins. He was the last surviving child of that family. He also was preceded in death in 2001 by his wife of 60 years, Imogene Collins.
Dr. Collins receive a bachelor's degree from the University of Evansville and a Master of Divinity degree from Garrett Theological Seminary. He served United Methodist churches in Jacksonville, Springfield, Monmouth and Rock Island and was a district superintendent for the Central Illinois District of the United Methodist Church. In 1967, he was awarded an honorary Doctor of Divinity Degree by MacMurray College.
He is survived by his second wife, Olive Grosboll Collins, formerly of Springfield, Ill., of Newburgh; a daughter, Linda Collins Dunham, Austin, Texas; a son, Richard Collins, Newburgh; and six grandchildren, Richard Dunham, Austin, Andrew Dunham, Austin, John W. Collins, Jasper, Ind., Sallie Moseley, Newburgh, Emily Collins, Newburgh, and Tyler Collins, Newburgh; and four great-grandchildren.
Sympathy wishes may be made at titzerfuneralhomes.com.














 



Local events heading








  Today is Tuesday, Sept, 30, the 273rd day of 2014. There are 92 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: The ARGUS Boys are very anxious to attend the great Democratic mass meeting tomorrow and we shall therefore, print no paper on the day.
1889 — 125 years ago: H.J. Lowery resigned from his position as manager at the Harper House.
1914 — 100 years ago: Curtis & Simonson was the name of a new legal partnership formed by two younger members of the Rock Island County Bar. Hugh Cyrtis and Devore Simonson..
1939 — 75 years ago: Harry Grell, deputy county clerk was named county recorder to fill the vacancy caused by a resignation.
1964 — 50 years ago: A new world wide reader insurance service program offering around the clock accident protection for Argus subscribers and their families is announced today.
1989 — 25 years ago: Tomato plant and other sensitive greenery may have had a hard time surviving overnight as temperatures neared the freezing point.




(More History)