PREP FOOTBALL SCORING UPDATES PRESENTED BY THE HUNGRY HOBO:

Waste Commission maintains responsible recycling certification


Share
Posted Online: April 15, 2013, 2:49 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Press release submitted by Waste Commission of Scott County


ELECTRONIC DEMANUFACTURING FACILITY MAINTAINS R2 CERTIFICATION

DAVENPORT, Iowa—Waste Commission of Scott County's Electronic Demanufacturing Facility has completed and passed its annual surveillance audit to the Responsible Recycling (R2) Standard.

The facility is the first public agency in the world and the only agency in the state of Iowa to achieve this certification. There are approximately 360 facilities in the world that hold R2 certification.

By adhering to the R2 standard, the facility assures its customers that any sensitive data and toxic materials inside their electronics will be managed in the most responsible way. Data-containing items are caged and locked, monitored through a security system, and ultimately destroyed. All potentially harmful materials inside electronics—such as mercury, cadmium and lead—are captured and recycled responsibly. No harmful materials are shipped to developing countries. All of these practices are verified by an independent auditor.

The Electronic Demanufacturing Facility, 1048 East 59th St., Davenport, accepts e-waste with a circuit board and/or cathode-ray tube. Hours are 7:30 a.m.-4 p.m. weekdays. No appointment is necessary, and there is no charge for residents of Scott and Rock Island counties. For more information, call (563) 823-0119 or visit www.wastecom.com. For more information about the R2 Standard, visit www.r2solutions.org.

Waste Commission of Scott County is an inter-governmental agency established in 1972 to provide environmentally sound and economically feasible solid waste management services for Scott County.



















 




Local events heading








  Today is Saturday, Aug. 30, the 242nd day of 2014. There are 123 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: A large pair of elk, captured in Iowa, were exhibited in Market Square today.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Rock Island Arsenal dam was being constructed under the supervision of Charles Frances, of Lowell, Mass.
1914 — 100 years ago: Mrs. Frank Mixer, of Rock Island, was the winner of the final preliminary for the women's handicap golf cup at Rock Island arsenal links.
1939 — 75 years ago: Sixteen hundred persons — many from war-fearful Europe — arrived in New York aboard the German liner Bremen. For two days on the trip, passengers were cut off from the world with both incoming and outgoing radio messages banned.
1964 — 50 years ago: Police reported five youths have been involved in the theft of about seven cars in recent weeks. Three of the youths were arrested Saturday afternoon, one was in custody as the result of a previous arrest, and the fifth is expected to be arrested today.
1989 — 25 years ago: The Rock Island/Milan School Board is asking the city to tear down Franklin School and allow the school district to pay back the estimated $100,00 cost during 10 years.






(More History)