Dorothy Hill


Share
Posted Online: April 08, 2013, 7:30 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Dorothy L. Hill, 94, of Prophets Riverview Good Samaritan Center, Prophetstown, died on Saturday, April 6, 2013, at the center.
Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Thursday, April 11, at Prophetstown United Methodist Church, with the Rev. Cheri Stewart, pastor of the church, officiating. Visitation will be from 9:30 a.m. until the time of the services at the church. Burial will be at Riverside Cemetery, Prophetstown. In lieu of flowers, the family asks that memorials be given to the Prophetstown United Methodist Church and Prophets Riverview Good Samaritan Center.
She was born on Feb. 5, 1919, in Portland Township, Ill., to Lynn L. and Leila M. Hammond Lawrence. Dorothy was educated in rural Whiteside County grade schools and was a graduate of Prophetstown High School. She married Myron E. Hill on Feb. 28, 1939, in Clinton, Iowa. He died on Dec. 14, 1996.
Dorothy farmed along with her husband, Myron, in the Prophetstown area until moving to Prophetstown in 1981.
Dorothy was a member of Prophetstown United Methodist Church and the church's Wesleyan Fellowship. She also was a choir member and pianist. She is remembered for vocal and instrumental duets with her sister-in-law, Mary Nelle Hill. For many years, Dorothy entertained the residents at Prophets Riverview Good Samaritan Center with her piano playing. Dorothy enjoyed all aspects of music, especially singing and piano playing.
Survivors include her two sons, Paul (Patricia) Hill, Olathe, Kan., and Neill Hill, Prophetstown; two grandchildren, Tiffany (Darrick) Reed and Aaron (Melissa) Hill; and three great-grandchildren, Paige and Brianna Reed and Emerie Stark-Hill. She was preceded in death by her husband, Myron; one sister, Jean Thompson; and one brother, Hammond Lawrence.
To send online condolences go to bosmagibson.com.














 




Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, Sept. 17, the 260th day of 2014. There are 105 days left in the year.
1864 -- 150 years ago: We are told league merchants have paid no attention to the prohibition on selling ammunition, but continue to sell just as before the order was issued.
1889 -- 125 years ago: The Rev. R.F. Sweet, rector of Trinity Episcopal Parish, left for the East to visit his boyhood home in Boston before attending the general convention of the Episcopal Church in New York.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Dr. E.A. Anderson was named to succeed Dr. E.L. Kerns as head physician of the Modern Woodmen of America, and moved to Rock Island from Holdingford, Minn.
1939 -- 75 years ago: One week late, because of the outbreak of war, Dr. E.L. Beyer resumed his work as professor of romance languages at Augustana College. Dr. and Mrs. Beyer left Germany on the last train to the Belgian border.
1964 -- 50 years ago: Employees in Turnstyle stores in Moline and Davenport will vote Oct. 2 in an election set up by the Chicago regional office of the National Labor Relations Board. Employees will vote either for the Retail Clerk International or for no union.
1989 -- 25 years ago: Rock Island High School is considering a step to help teen moms stay in school and get their diploma. The school board is expected to vote tonight on instituting an on-site child care center.




(More History)