PREP FOOTBALL SCORING UPDATES PRESENTED BY THE HUNGRY HOBO:

John Sandler


Share
Posted Online: April 07, 2013, 7:48 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Funeral services and a Memorial Mass of Christian Burial for John E. Sandler, 73, of Bettendorf, will be at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, April 10, at St. John Vianney Catholic Church, Bettendorf. Visitation will be Tuesday at Halligan-McCabe-DeVries Funeral Home, Davenport, from 4 to 7 p.m., where there will be a brief prayer service and time of sharing at 6:30 p.m. Per John's request, casual attire is requested. There will be additional visitation at church prior to mass from 10 until 10:30 a.m. Honoring John's wishes, the rite of cremation will be accorded after visitation. Inurnment will be in Mount Calvary Cemetery, Davenport.
John passed away on Saturday, April 6, 2013, at Clarrisa C. Cook Hospice House, Bettendorf.
John Edward Sandler was born on July 31, 1939, in Moline, a son of Jack and Patricia Driscoll Sandler. He had been married to Carole Stevenson. John was united in marriage to Marilyn Mara DeClerck in 1991.
Memorials may be made to Clarrisa C. Cook Hospice House or for a memorial fund to be established in John's name.
Survivors include his wife, Marilyn, Bettendorf; his daughter, Amy Biscontine, Rock Island; his stepchildren, Jaime (Michelle) DeClerck, Des Moines, Cathie (Rober) Rashid, Carver, Mass., and Terri DeClerck, Bettendorf; his sisters, Suzanne Weis, Bettendorf, and Lynne Scott, Davenport; six grandchildren, Noah Biscontine, Dylan and Leah DeClerck, Joshua Rashid and Samantha and Ben Burmeister; a sister-in-law, Sharon Hobart, Davenport; his brothers-in-law, Roger Mara, Montgomery, Ill., Ron (Rhonda) Mara, Davenport, and Jim (Jane) Mara, Levelland, Texas; and numerous loving nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his parents and a brother-in-law, Ralph Weis.
Online remembrances and condolences may be expressed to the family by visiting John's obituary at hmdfuneralhome.com.












 




Local events heading








  Today is Saturday, Aug. 30, the 242nd day of 2014. There are 123 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: A large pair of elk, captured in Iowa, were exhibited in Market Square today.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Rock Island Arsenal dam was being constructed under the supervision of Charles Frances, of Lowell, Mass.
1914 — 100 years ago: Mrs. Frank Mixer, of Rock Island, was the winner of the final preliminary for the women's handicap golf cup at Rock Island arsenal links.
1939 — 75 years ago: Sixteen hundred persons — many from war-fearful Europe — arrived in New York aboard the German liner Bremen. For two days on the trip, passengers were cut off from the world with both incoming and outgoing radio messages banned.
1964 — 50 years ago: Police reported five youths have been involved in the theft of about seven cars in recent weeks. Three of the youths were arrested Saturday afternoon, one was in custody as the result of a previous arrest, and the fifth is expected to be arrested today.
1989 — 25 years ago: The Rock Island/Milan School Board is asking the city to tear down Franklin School and allow the school district to pay back the estimated $100,00 cost during 10 years.






(More History)