PREP FOOTBALL SCORING UPDATES PRESENTED BY THE HUNGRY HOBO:

John Lingris


Share
Posted Online: Feb. 25, 2013, 7:50 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Funeral services for John Lingris, 89, of East Moline, will be 10 a.m. Friday at St. George Greek Orthodox Church, Rock Island. Burial will be at Riverside Cemetery, Moline. Visitation will be 4-7 p.m. Thursday at Van Hoe Funeral Home, East Moline, where a Trisagion (prayer) service will be held at 6 p.m.
Mr. Lingris died Sunday, Feb. 24, 2013, at Illini Restorative Care Center, Silvis. Memorials may be made to St. George Greek Orthodox Church, where he had been a member.
John was born Nov. 18, 1923, in Chicago, the son of George and Diane Rossiaras Lingris. He was a graduate of Lincoln School, East Moline, and United Township High School. He graduated from Augustana College, Rock Island, as an accountant.
He served in the U.S. Air Force during World War II. He married Darlene Dhaenens May 12, 1956, at Assumption Greek Orthodox Church, East Moline.
He had been an auditor for the State of Illinois. He later worked for and eventually co-owned C.J. Bendle & Associates. After merging with Carpentier, Mitchell and Godard, he continued to work until his death. He had been one of the founders and past director of American Bank, Rock Island.
Survivors include his wife of 56 years, Darlene Lingris, East Moline; son, Thomas (Susane) Lingris, Howell, Mich.; grandchildren, Brian and Michael Lingris, and Cristina Lingris (fiance, Stephen Tobleman) brothers, Peter (Susan) Lingris, Moline, and Thomas Lingris (Judy Larson), East Moline. He was preceded in death by his parents and daughter, Catherine Lingris.
Online condolences may be left for the family at www.vanhoe.com.












 




Local events heading








  Today is Saturday, Aug. 30, the 242nd day of 2014. There are 123 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: A large pair of elk, captured in Iowa, were exhibited in Market Square today.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Rock Island Arsenal dam was being constructed under the supervision of Charles Frances, of Lowell, Mass.
1914 — 100 years ago: Mrs. Frank Mixer, of Rock Island, was the winner of the final preliminary for the women's handicap golf cup at Rock Island arsenal links.
1939 — 75 years ago: Sixteen hundred persons — many from war-fearful Europe — arrived in New York aboard the German liner Bremen. For two days on the trip, passengers were cut off from the world with both incoming and outgoing radio messages banned.
1964 — 50 years ago: Police reported five youths have been involved in the theft of about seven cars in recent weeks. Three of the youths were arrested Saturday afternoon, one was in custody as the result of a previous arrest, and the fifth is expected to be arrested today.
1989 — 25 years ago: The Rock Island/Milan School Board is asking the city to tear down Franklin School and allow the school district to pay back the estimated $100,00 cost during 10 years.






(More History)