Freddie Mae Walker


Share
Posted Online: Feb. 12, 2013, 5:04 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Freddie Mae Walker, 74, of Moline, died Thursday, Feb. 7, 2013, at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House, Bettendorf.
Memorial services will be held at 4:30 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 16, at Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses, 3801 Hillandale, Davenport. Per her wishes, cremation rites have been accorded and burial of cremains will be at a later date. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to her family for a fund to be established.
She was born on May 11, 1938, in Hohenwald, Tenn., the daughter of J. Willard and Mary Christine (Rogers) Garrett. Freddie Mae (Garrett) LaBalle married Donald A. Walker on May 29, 1991, in Ringgold, Ga.
She began working for Clean Towel Service and then went on to work as a supervisor for John Deere Harvester in East Moline. Also, Freddie owned her own business as a reflexologist. She later worked as a matron for the county jail in Alabama. She was a member of Jehovah Witness Kingdom Hall in Moline and often participated in Civil War reenactments. She enjoyed quilting, sewing, cross stitching and painting.
Survivors include her husband, Donald Walker, Moline; children, Debbie Hansen, Davenport, Karen (Jeff) Bein, Davenport, Kathy (Larry) Porter, Bettendorf, Randy (Jeanie) Crowe, Port Byron, Michael Kave, Colorado; stepson, Grady Kave, Port Byron; three stepdaughters, Peggy Gill, California, Sheri Jackson, California, Connie Wallace, Reno, Nev.; 16 grandchildren; nine great-grandchildren; numerous nieces and nephews; sisters, Judy (James) Hatfield, East Moline, Brenda Garrett, Moline.
She was preceded in death by her parents and three brothers.
The family would like to say a special "Thank you" to the staff of Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House and St. Francis of Peoria.
Online condolences may be left for her family by visiting our website at www.esterdahl.com.














 




Local events heading








  Today is Monday, Sept. 15, the 258th day of 2014. There are 107 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: The Rock River Illinois conference of the Methodist Church will hold its annual sessions this week in this city. About 200 ministers are expected to attend.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Brush electric company had prepared a new schedule of rates to become effective Oct. 1, with slightly increased rates to consumers.
1914 — 100 years ago: The Rock Island Aerie of Eagles made plans for the laying of the cornerstone of a new $50,000 Eagles Home. W.C. Maucker is to be master of ceremonies.
1939 — 75 years ago: Col. Charles A. Lindbergh spoke on "America and Foreign War" in a neutrality debate over nation wide radio hook-up.
1964 — 50 years ago: Two awards of the National Safety council were presented to the city of Rock Island today at noon at a meeting held in the YWCA.
1989 — 25 years ago: The final tallies are not yet in for the summer 1989 Quad-Cities tourism season, but officials are expecting the number of visitors to the area to be at least as good as, if not better than, 1988.






(More History)