Friends of the Canal monthly hike outing Feb. 17


Share
Posted Online: Feb. 11, 2013, 12:00 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Press release submitted by Ed Herrmann



The Friends of the Hennepin Canal will be sponsoring its monthly Hike the Hennepin Canal outing on Sunday, February 17.

This hike is 4.6 miles in length and it has been named the "Bald Eagle hike" and promises to be exciting as we hope to get a glimpse of our nations' symbol – the bald eagles – as we start our hike at the Mississippi River.

Hikers will meet at the Steel Dam in Milan by 1:30 pm and will be shuttled to the Mississippi to begin our walk back. Directions are: take I80 to I280 to exit 15 in Milan onto E. 1st Ave (Airport Road) going towards Milan. Take the first road on the right (Frontage Road) and follow it to the right to 14th St NE past the warehouses back to the steel dam.

The monthly hikes were developed by the Friends of the Hennepin Canal as an opportunity for everyone to get to know the Canal personally by hiking it from the Illinois River to the Mississippi (including the Feeder Canal) in small legs.

You need not be a member of the Friends to join us in any of the hikes. There is no fee for the hikes. Come and join in the fun and bring a friend. We ask that you dress weather appropriately.



















 



Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, April 23, the 113th day of 2014. There are 252 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: Some persons are negotiating for 80 feet of ground on Illinois Street with a view of erecting four stores thereon. It would serve a better purpose if the money was invested in neat tenement houses.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Central station, car house and stables of the Moline-Rock Island Horse Railway line of the Holmes syndicate, together with 15 cars and 42 head of horses, were destroyed by fire. The loss was at $15,000.
1914 — 100 years ago: Vera Cruz, Mexico, after a day and night of resistance to American forces, gradually ceased opposition. The American forces took complete control of the city.
1939 — 75 years ago: Dr. R. Bruce Collins was reelected for a second term as president of the Lower Rock Island County Tuberculosis Association.
1964 — 50 years ago: Work is scheduled to begin this summer on construction of a new men's residence complex and an addition to the dining facilities at Westerlin Hall at Augustana College.
1989 — 25 years ago: Special Olympics competitors were triple winners at Rock Island High School Saturday. The participants vanquished the rain that fell during the competition, and some won their events; but most important, they triumphed over their own disabilities.




(More History)