LOCAL FOOTBALL SCORING UPDATES PRESENTED BY THE HUNGRY HOBO:

Letter: Take a look at the evolution of Second Amendment


Share
Posted Online: Feb. 07, 2013, 2:35 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
A history of the right to bear arms:

James Madison, a Southern gentleman from Virginia, submits the first draft of our Second Amendment, which read as follows:

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, a well armed and regulated militia being the best security of a free country but no person religiously scrupulous of bearing arms shall be compelled to render military service in person."

Draft 2 was reworded on July 28, 1789.

Draft 3 was submitted Aug 24, 1789.

On August 25, 1789, the Senate added a comma.

On Sept. 4, 1789, the Senate votes to change the language by removing the definition of a militia and striking the conscientious objector clause.

On Sept. 9, 1789, the Senate proposed to insert the words "for the common defense" next to the words "bear arms." This proposal was defeated.
On Sept. 21, 1789, the House accepted the changes made by the Senate. Then on Dec. 15, 1791, the Bill of Rights was adopted as 3/4 of the States had accepted the new language.

In the discussions on this amendment, Patrick Henry warned Madison that the South desperately needed the right to keep and bear arms as the North was trying to free the slaves and they were offering them freedom and teaching them how to use weapons.

The Southern Armed Militias were essential to subdue the black population and maintain their way of the life in the Southern States so the word "country" was dropped and the word "state" was inserted in the final document.

LaVerne Linnenkamp,
Silvis



















 



Local events heading








  Today is Saturday, Sept. 20, the 263rd day of 2014. There are 102 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: Recruits can get $500 by enlisting now. Lt Jobe has a recruiting office on Illinois Street.
1889 -- 125 years ago: Superintendent Schnitger formally inaugurated the Rock Island and Davenport Railway Line of the Holmes system by putting on four cars to start.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Wires of the defunct Union Electric Co. are being removed by city electricians.
1939 -- 75 years ago: The Bishop Hill softball team won the championship in WHB"S Mississippi Valley tournament at Douglas Park.
1964 -- 50 years ago: A boom in apartment construction has hit Rock Island, with approximately 300 units either in or near the construction stage or due for an early rezoning decision.
1989 -- 25 years ago: Members of the Bi-State Metropolitan Planning Commission are hoping to revive their push for a new $70 million four-lane bridge spanning the Mississippi River.






(More History)