Last weekend for Historic Clock Tower and Eagle Watch Tours


Share
Posted Online: Feb. 07, 2013, 11:27 am
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Press release submitted by Mississippi River Visitor Center



The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Mississippi River Project announces that the Visitor Center at Locks and Dam #15 is inviting guests to participate in Historic Clock Tower and Eagle Watching Tours. Learn about the Historic Clock Tower building as you climb the stairs to the top. Waiting there is a spectacular view of the Mississippi River where you will have the opportunity to see Bald Eagles who visit our area during the cold winter months.
This is the final weekend with tours happening on both Saturday and Sunday, February 9th and 10th. There will be two tours each day beginning at 9:00am and 12:30pm. The tour will last approximately 1½ hours and be guided by a Corps Park Ranger. The tours will begin at the Mississippi River Visitor Center, located on the western end of Arsenal Island at Locks and Dam #15. The tours are free of charge and everyone is invited to attend. Advance registration is recommended. An adult must accompany children under 12 years of age. All persons over age 16 must carry a photo ID to enter the island. Vehicles are subject to search and participants should allow 15 minutes extra to ensure proper arrival time for the tour. Visitors may enter the island through either the Moline or Rock Island gates. For more information, or to sign up for the program, please contact the Visitor Center at (309) 794-5338.

















 



Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, April 23, the 113th day of 2014. There are 252 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: Some persons are negotiating for 80 feet of ground on Illinois Street with a view of erecting four stores thereon. It would serve a better purpose if the money was invested in neat tenement houses.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Central station, car house and stables of the Moline-Rock Island Horse Railway line of the Holmes syndicate, together with 15 cars and 42 head of horses, were destroyed by fire. The loss was at $15,000.
1914 — 100 years ago: Vera Cruz, Mexico, after a day and night of resistance to American forces, gradually ceased opposition. The American forces took complete control of the city.
1939 — 75 years ago: Dr. R. Bruce Collins was reelected for a second term as president of the Lower Rock Island County Tuberculosis Association.
1964 — 50 years ago: Work is scheduled to begin this summer on construction of a new men's residence complex and an addition to the dining facilities at Westerlin Hall at Augustana College.
1989 — 25 years ago: Special Olympics competitors were triple winners at Rock Island High School Saturday. The participants vanquished the rain that fell during the competition, and some won their events; but most important, they triumphed over their own disabilities.




(More History)