Arlington 'Arlie' Newberg III


Share
Posted Online: Jan. 28, 2013, 8:41 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Arlington "Arlie" McCarl Newberg III, 70, of Moline, died on Jan. 28, 2013, at his home.
Memorial services will be at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 31, at Esterdahl Mortuary & Crematory, 6601 38th Ave., Moline. Visitation will be from 3 to 6:30 p.m. prior to the service at the funeral home. Per his wishes, cremation rites have been accorded and inurnment will be at a later date at Newton Township Cemetery. Memorials may be made to his family for a future memorial at Valley View Country Club.
Arlie was born on Oct. 6, 1942, in Moline, the son of Arlington II and Elizabeth L. Keim Newberg. He married Sue Carolyn Shunick on July 11, 1964, in Kewanee.
Arlie was employed with John Deere Harvester for 38 years working as a welder and retiring as a plasma cutter in October 2003. He loved to golf and was a longtime member of Valley View Country Club in Cambridge. He also loved his annual golf trips to Paris Landing, Tenn., with his golf buddies. In his earlier years, Arlie spent time scuba diving, fishing and ice fishing.
Survivors include his wife, Sue Newberg, Moline; son, Arlie (Traci) Newberg, East Moline; daughter, Dessie (Jamie) Pyse, Erie; grandchildren, Matthew, Andrew and Christopher; sisters, Nancy (Hans) Friedrichsen, Coal Valley, Janice Grimes, Springfield, Mo.
He was preceded in death by his parents; sister, Dessie Ann Newberg; and stepfather, Ed Garvin.
Online condolences may be left for his family by visiting his obituary online at www.esterdahl.com.












 



Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, April 23, the 113th day of 2014. There are 252 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: Some persons are negotiating for 80 feet of ground on Illinois Street with a view of erecting four stores thereon. It would serve a better purpose if the money was invested in neat tenement houses.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Central station, car house and stables of the Moline-Rock Island Horse Railway line of the Holmes syndicate, together with 15 cars and 42 head of horses, were destroyed by fire. The loss was at $15,000.
1914 — 100 years ago: Vera Cruz, Mexico, after a day and night of resistance to American forces, gradually ceased opposition. The American forces took complete control of the city.
1939 — 75 years ago: Dr. R. Bruce Collins was reelected for a second term as president of the Lower Rock Island County Tuberculosis Association.
1964 — 50 years ago: Work is scheduled to begin this summer on construction of a new men's residence complex and an addition to the dining facilities at Westerlin Hall at Augustana College.
1989 — 25 years ago: Special Olympics competitors were triple winners at Rock Island High School Saturday. The participants vanquished the rain that fell during the competition, and some won their events; but most important, they triumphed over their own disabilities.




(More History)