Today in history for Sunday, Jan. 27, 2013


Share
Posted Online: Jan. 27, 2013, 6:00 am
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Today is Sunday, Jan.27th, the 27th day of 2013. There are 338 days left in the year.
1863 -- 150 years ago: Our market reports show a steady advance on all kinds of grain.There has been unusual activity and competition among the buyers of late, and farmersare pretty sure to get the benefit of all this. Competition is the life of business.
1888 -- 125 years ago: Postmaster Charles W. Hawes, of Rock Island, has asked postoffice department officials in Washington for an extra carrier for the city.
1913 -- 100 years ago: The Rock Island Savings Bank has installed a large thermometeroutside the bank.
1938 -- 75 years ago: Rock River's rising waters have cut off Barstow and Osborn andalso cut off use of Route 92, the only direct route for traffic to Chicago from the Tri-Cities.
1963 -- 50 years ago: About 70 Hampton residents attended a meeting here yesterday tovoice their disapproval of telephone service given by the Port Byron Telephone Co. TheHampton residents are joining the growing movement to disaffiliate with the independentcompany and join the Illinois Bell system.
1988 -- 25 years ago: "Standing Ovations" is going to make a "Return Engagement."Like all good performances, the Quad-Cities' most popular community cookbookdeserves an encore. A completely new cookbook, a sequel to the long-running "StandingOvations," will be published next year by the Junior Board of the Quad City SymphonyOrchestra Association.















 



Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, July 30, the 211th day of 2014. There are 154 days left in the year.
1864 -- 150 years ago: After Sept. 1, every small box of matches will be required to have a 3 cent duty Lincoln stamp on it, and every large box will be one cent for every 100 matches.
1889 -- 125 years ago: Rock Island residents had contributed a total of $1,293 to the American Red Cross for the Johnstown flood relief fund.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Capt. Clark Means, new darkhorse twirler for the ARGUS staff, was in great form in his initial contest as a mound laborer. The result was that THE ARGUS trimmed the Union 6-5.
1939 -- 75 years ago: Hunter and Humprey Moody, young Decatur, Ill, brothers, lack only a few hours of establishing a new world light plane endurance record.
1964 -- 50 years ago: Gates of the 110th annual Mercer County Fair swing open tonight at Aledo for a full week of day and night activity. More that $36,000 will be paid in premiums and race purses.
1989 -- 25 years ago: The baseball field carved out of the cornfield near Dyersville, Iowa, continues to keep dreams alive for hundreds of visitors. Tourists from 26 state and France have visited Dan Lansing's farm to see the baseball diamond seen in the hit movie "Field of Dreams."






(More History)